You are here
COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS
Instructional Workload Protocols last updated August 15, 2011
A. Contact Hour Limits for CLA.
Contact Hour Limits
General: 50 minutes of classroom contact will be assigned one Contact Hour (CH) and therefore, in CLA, the number of CH will usually equal the course credits.
For Internships: 0.13 CH/student, up to 8 CH/academic year.
CH for concurrent sections of a course are counted only once.
For team taught courses where only one instructor is with the class at a time, CH are split proportionately.
For shared courses, courses for which both or all of the faculty are present during instruction, the total CH shall not exceed the course credits by more than 50%.
Engl 5902 and Engl 5922 include a practicum component. If the enrollment is 10 or more, the instructor shall receive 1 CH beyond the number of credits for the course.
For Independent Studies the instructor shall receive 0.2 CH for each Student Credit Hour (SCH). For a student in a UROP project the instructor shall be credited with 0.34 CH over the official period of the project. Accrual of CH for independent studies shall be limited to 8 CH/year. Independent Study counts for load but not for overload.
For Seminars, the instructor shall receive CH equal to the course credits.
For Graduate Thesis Credit (8777 and 8888) the instructor shall receive 0.25 CH/SCH.
Geography labs will normally have CH equal to course credits unless the instructor is not in the lab all of the time; in that case the CH are pro-rated.
The following courses should be treated in accordance with the current protocol governing Independent Study; i.e., instructors should receive 0.2 Contact Hours (CH) for each Student Credit Hour (SCH) up to four CH per semester. As with Independent Study and UROP credit, these CHs can be used to raise CH to full load but cannot be used to warrant overload pay. [This is consistent with our current protocol.]
- AMIN 3300: Projects
- AMIN 4990: Directed Research
- Comm 3310: Research Assistants
- Comm 4394: Directed Research
- Comm 4399: Directed Projects
- Crim 8600: Practicum in Crim
- Crim 8900: Directed Readings
- Engl 8931: Practicum in Teaching Literature
- Geog 5999: Senior Project
- Hist 3091: Directed Readings
- Hist 3505: Colloquium for Majors
- Hist 5094: Directed Research
- Ling 5852: Practicum in Teaching Linguistics
- Writ 8910: Practicum in Teaching Writing
- Writ 8994: Directed Research
Instructors attached to the following courses should be assigned .125 Contact Hours (CH) per student enrolled and under the direction of the faculty member
- Anth 4997: Teaching Assistant
- Comm 3300: Teaching Assistants
- CST 4997: Teaching Assistant
- Engl 4909: Senior Portfolio
- Engl 4931: Practicum in Teaching Literature
- Hist 3099: Practicum in Teaching
- Ling 4852: Teaching Assistantship in Linguistics
- Phil 5997: Intern Teaching Assistant
- Pol 3109: Intern Teaching
- Soc 4997: Teaching Assistant
- Writ 4506: Capstone Course: Senior Portfolio Preparation
- WS 5897: Teaching Internship
STUDENT TEACHING SPECIFIC
Supervision of one student teacher is assigned 0.67 CH to accommodate the time required to implement clinical supervision. For a student teacher placed more than 40 miles from UMD (or the Twin Cities), 1.00 CH will be assigned to accommodate travel time. For supervision of a
student teacher who has failed student teaching once and is attempting a second student teaching experience, 0.67 CH is assigned to accommodate the additional time and assistance which the supervisor must provide. For students who must repeat student teaching, the
0.67 CH if the student is placed within 40 miles of UMD or the Twin Cities;
1.11 CH if the student is placed beyond 40 miles from UMD or the Twin Cities.
Appropriate proration of CH for less than six visits per student shall be used.
Student Teaching classes are:
SpEd 5600 EdSe 4600 EdSe 5215 Educ 4650 ElEd 4600