You are here
SWENSON COLLEGE OF SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
Instructional Workload Protocols last updated 12.16.11
A. Contact hour limits for CSE.
Contact Hour (CH) Limits
Mechanical & Industrial Eng
Lectures and General
Lecture: a fifty-minute class period shall constitute one Contact Hour (CH).
Concurrent Courses: CH count only once
Team Taught Course: CH are split between instructors proportionate to their time
Shared Courses: courses for which both or all faculty are present
during instruction, the total CH shall not exceed the course credits by more than 50%.
Seminar: CH equals credits
Lab courses in which the instructor for the course is present at all of the lab hours: CH equals scheduled hours regardless of whether a TA is present.
For Labs/Recitations, of large lecture courses, run by TAs:
If there is a scheduled weekly meeting with the TAs as a group:
- 1 plus 0.3 for each section taught by a GTA (Chem lab/rec=1 sec)
- 1 plus 0.6 for each section taught by an UGTA
If there is no weekly group meeting scheduled:
- 0.3 for each section taught by a GTA
- 0.6 for each section taught by an UGTA
Distance courses taught using ITV have an additional 1.0 contact hour. In the case of driving more than four times per semester to distant sites, an addition of another adjustment may be negotiated.
Research, internships, coops, projects etc.
Independent study/research and UROP count in load but do not qualify for overload pay. This exclusion does not apply to Plan A or Plan B students.
- Internships/Coops: 0.13 CH/student, maximum of 8 CH/AY.
- Independent Study/Research at undergrad and grad level: 1 CH/student/semester.
- Lab Teaching Experience: 0.13 CH/student
- Tutorial Project: 0.13 CH/student for a maximum of one CH
- UROP and REU: 0.67 CH/project
Graduate Students – Plan A Masters
Maximum 4 CH for each Plan A student
This can be applied in either of two ways:
- 10 thesis credits (8777) for 4 CH at 0.4 CH per credit
- 1 CH for each of four semesters
Graduate Students – Plan B Masters
- Chemistry or Geological Sciences: 0.33 CH per paper/project for a maximum of 1.33 CH/student
- Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics & Statistics: 1.33 CH/student completion of Plan B.
- 1.33 CH/student for EMgt 8310, Safe 6997 or ECE 8222
Graduate Students – Ph.D.
Maximum 6 CH for each Ph.D. student: this should be applied 15 thesis credits (8888) for 6 CH at 0.4 CH per credit
For Biology, if there are multiple sections with the instructor present full-time in one lab and supervising a GTA in the other lab sections, the instructor receives full scheduled hours for the one lab plus one additional CH for each additional lab.
Chemistry & Biochemistry Specific
Chem 1153, 1155
CH = lecture hours plus 1 CH for scheduled weekly meeting with discussion TAs as a group
Chem 1154, 1156
CH = 0.3 CH per lab section taught by GTA plus 0.6 CH per lab section taught by UGTA plus 1 CH for scheduled weekly meeting with lab TA as a group.
All Chem 4xxx laboratory courses, CH = 1 plus ½ scheduled lab hours
Computer Science Specific
CS 1011, 1511, 1521. 2511. 2521 use the lab/recitation protocol. All other courses use CH = credit hours except for independent study, internship, thesis research, etc.
Electrical and Computer Engineering Specific
ECE 4899, 4999 = 1 CH/student
ECE 4951 = 5 CH
Geological Sciences Specific
1 Day field trip (10 hr) = 0.5 CH
2-Days field trip (20 hr) = 1.0 CH If overnight, add 0.5 CH
Maximum allowed for any course is 1.5 CH; unless overnight is included, increasing that to a maximum of 2.0 CH
Maximum allowed of 17 CH for department for the year.
Mathematics and Statistics Specific
Math 3298, 3280, and all others with lab, and 1290 when it is taught in the small lecture format, CH =credit hours
Courses taught in the Math Learning Lab = 0.5 CH