You are here
Students Helping Students
Visitors to the Tutoring Center report improved grades and increased confidence
WHO: UMD's tutoring services are open to ALL UMD undergraduate students.
WHEN: Tutoring Center Hours
Monday - Thursday: 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
WHERE: The Tutoring Center is located on the 2nd floor of the Kathryn A. Martin Library in the Securian Learning Commons.
WHY: Students, who participate in the Tutoring Program, report improved grades on tests and quizzes as well as improved overall academic success. Still unsure? Check out Tutoring Myths and Facts.
HOW: To use tutoring services effectively, successful students should:
- Attend lectures and labs regularly
- Attempt assignments prior to a tutoring session
- Bring their textbook, notes, & syllabus to tutoring sessions
- Plan ahead to meet deadlines
- Come to the TC as soon as they have questions; don't wait until the end of the semester
- Early morning (9 AM), late afternoon (4 PM), and evening (7 PM) hours are less crowded (more individual help)
- Tutors' name tags list the specific courses they tutor
- Tutors rotate on the hour; come in at the beginning of an hour to avoid a tutor change while you're here
Reminder: UMD tutors are provided as a complement to your course instruction. They can't complete assignments for you or just check your answers to see if they're correct.
In addition to the variety of free tutoring and academic support services provided on campus, UMD has partnered with Tutor Matching Service (TMS) to provide another option for students who would like to Hire a Private Tutor.
All UMD tutors listed through TMS are fully qualified in their subject area(s) and have received, or are currently receiving, a full semester of training in tutoring techniques and interpersonal communication to help them provide students with the best tutoring experience possible. Students can select from a list of tutors with a variety of badges (high GPA, UMD-Trained, CRLA-Certified), in addition to their subject area qualifications.
Tutors set their own rates and payment is fast and easy using TMS’s online booking, and payment setup. Scheduling is flexible and arranged between students and tutors to accommodate both their personal schedules.
We recommend students first check out the free, on-campus, award-winning tutoring services provided by UMD, but we are excited to offer this additional resource for our UMD students.