You are here
Do you look at a problem and see an opportunity for making an improvement? Do you easily interact with teams and customers? Do you aspire to own your own business or engage in progressive thinking while working for an established business? If so, the Entrepreneurship major may be a great fit for you.
The Entrepreneurship major helps students develop core capabilities of idea generation, opportunity recognition, resource acquisition, and entrepreneurial management, which allows for the success of an organization.
- The program boasts a 100% placement rate.
- Develop entrepreneurial competencies including forming teams, constructing business models, and assessing new venture or initiative feasibility.
- Apply entrepreneurial planning for newly identified opportunities and attain a broader entrepreneurial mindset for your career and professional life.
The entrepreneurship major is a good choice for students aspiring to start their own businesses or manage family-run businesses. Students can also become social entrepreneurs or work with non-profit organizations in administrative and management roles.
The skills gained in this major are relevant across a wide variety of organizations, from start-ups to large corporations, government as well as the private sector.
Admissions and Scholarships
Students with a major in LSBE are eligible to apply for more than 120 scholarships, with the total scholarship amount in excess of $200,000 annually.
The UMD Entrepreneurship Club enables its members to explore their interest in entrepreneurship and enhance their entrepreneurial abilities. Members benefit through group collaboration, guest speakers, and workshops that create and foster an entrepreneurial community.
The Management faculty have received teaching and research awards. Currently, the department is home to two faculty members who have won the Horace T. Morse Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, the highest teaching honor bestowed by the University of Minnesota.
Freshmen and transfer students are typically admitted as pre-business students for all BBA majors. Admission to candidacy status, which allows access to upper division LSBE classes, typically occurs at the junior level when students have successfully completed all pre-major (pre-candidacy) course requirements and met all of the GPA standards. Students with 2.60 UM and overall, and 2.00 internal and pre-major GPAs, are admitted into the major upon completion of pre-major courses.
Recent UMD Graduates Job Placement Data & Employers
Here's a sampling of positions Entrepreneurship B.B.A. grads have attained six months to one year after graduation.
- Branch Manager - Trugreen, Superior, WI
- Conferences & SpecialEvents Assistant Coordinator - University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
- Farm Worker - Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF), New Zealand
- Founder - Superior Shave Co, Duluth, MN