You are here
Writing A Diversity Statement
A Diversity Statement may be required for some job and/or graduate or professional program applications.
The main purpose of a diversity statement is to demonstrate how you will contribute to the diversity of the organization, program and/or the profession in general. It is your opportunity to discuss what about you may be unique from other applicants. It is important to be genuine and express your real life experiences and beliefs related to diversity.
Once you have drafted your diversity statement, visit with a career counselor for feedback.
Potential areas to address include:
- hardships you have overcome
- family background
- multilingual abilities
- international travel
- geographic diversity
- exceptional community involvement
- non-traditional attributes for a field
- special talents
- first generation college student
- anything unique you would contribute to the position or program