Checklist for Job and Internship Search Success
You are here
This checklist is designed to help you see if you are "on-target" in your job or internship search and give you ideas about things to do. For each statement, check the box if it is true Tally your check marks at the end. Incorporate into your job or internship search the items you didn't check.
Tip: Print this page to make it easier to check off the items.
A. What You Know About Yourself
- I can clearly state my career goals.
- I can explain why I chose my major.
- I can describe my three greatest strengths and give examples to support each.
- I can describe three weaknesses or challenges and explain how I have, or am actively working to, overcome them.
- I can name my favorite work and non-work activities and why I enjoy them.
- I can list at least five of my job-related skills and abilities with examples to support each.
- For each of my most important job related experiences, I can list: five things I did, five things I learned, and contributions and accomplishments I made.
- I have considered geographical preferences.
B. What You Know About Employers
- I have researched at least three fields of employment.
- I can name at least ten employers that might hire a person with my background.
- I can name at least five position titles for which I might apply.
- I know four or five resources to help me find the answers to the questions above.
- I can name at least four sources of information about potential employers in a particular geographical area.
- I have developed a list of contacts for networking.
- In the past month, I have talked to at least three people who are employed in fields of my interest with the purpose of learning more about what they do.
- I have filed applications with at least five employers in the past two weeks.
C. Your Job Seeking Contacts With Employers
- I have established a GoldPASS powered by Handshake account with Career and Internship Services.
- I have prepared a resume which has been reviewed by Career and Internship Services staff.
- I have established and updated a LinkedIn account.
- I have developed a personal brand statement and a "one minute elevator speech."
- I use a variety of resources for locating internship or job leads.
- I have asked many people including those within hiring organizations for feedback on my resume.
- When I apply to an employer, I try to address my letter to a specific person.
- I am familiar with the organizational structure, services, programs and products of the employers to which I am applying.
- I know the questions employers are likely to ask in interviews.
- I have prepared written answers to common interview questions.
- I can clearly state why I am interested in working for each employer to which I am applying.
I have practiced interviewing using at least one of the following:
- Practice interviews in front of a mirror, with a friend or other person.
- Practice interviews with Career and Internship Services staff.
- InterviewStream offered through Career and Internship Services.
- A practice interview offered during on-campus Practice Interview Days.
D. Considerations For Your Job
- I have identified my immediate job needs.
- I have considered whether I am willing to relocate and, if so, to which region(s) I am open.
- I have considered whether I am willing to travel as part of my position and, if so, how often and how far.
- I have evaluated how flexible I am concerning my work schedule, how many hours I may have to work and whether it may vary within a year or change over time.
- I have calculated how much I need to earn, taking into account expenses such as rent, utilities, furniture, transportation, food, phone, clothing, entertainment, insurance and college loans.
- I have considered various types of benefits such as medical, dental, retirement, profit sharing and vacation and determined what I need and what is important to me.
Add up your check marks for each section and enter the number below:
SECTION A: YOURSELF ________
SECTION B: EMPLOYERS ________
SECTION C: CONTACTS ________
SECTION D: CONSIDERATIONS ________
28-37: On the right track. Keep up the good work!
15-27: You are doing pretty well. You may want to discuss your search with a Career and Internship Services counselor.
14 or below: Definitely discuss your search with a Career and Internship Services counselor!