You are here
What is Twitter?
Information platform for communicating with other people in 280 characters or less.
How Do You Get Started?
Simple answer: go to Twitter, click “Sign Up for Twitter” and create a profile. It’s that easy. However, there are things you should think about prior to starting a Twitter account.
How do you want to use Twitter? It will be a part of your personal branding and should fall in line with your other online profiles. Twitter is helpful for connecting with your profession before you are even out of school. Follow key employers, experts in your field, and other people who can be helpful as you create your brand. It’s not all about letting people know what you had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Follow us on Twitter: @umdcareers
The Benefits – How to Use Twitter
- Locally and globally build a network of professionals in your industry larger than you could imagine
- Share knowledge and content with a large audience
- Engage in conversation with future, current, and past colleagues
- Stay current with news, trends, and ideas in your future industry
- Connect with businesses and organizations that you’re interested in working for.
- Look for a job or internship
- Great learning can happen through just watching your Twitter feed. Join the conversation to expand your learning even more.
What to Tweet About
- Ask for help or advice about a professional question (such as asking someone to look at your resume)
- Tweet about a useful blog post, video, website, book, product, or service
- How your job search is progressing (nothing negative about your current role or specifically where you’re applying/interviewing)
5 Ways to Find a Job on Twitter
- Industry keywords: can be included in the content of your tweets throughout the week.
- Hashtags: follow industry news and what’s happening right now (check out #jobsearch and #careeradvice for working on the job search)
- Your Twitter bio: use keywords that describe you and what you want to do (such as including your future industry)
- Join the conversation: RT (retweet) articles, blogs, news, etc. and ask questions
To Get You Started: People/Entities to Follow
All addresses: twitter.com/_____ and the @ is not part of the URL address
@umdcareers – UMD Career & Internship Services (articles, resources, opportunities and event announcements)
@umnjobfair - University of Minnesota's largest job fair open to current students and recent alumni
- @coolworks – Seasonal jobs and careers in some the “coolest places on Earth”
- @Forbes – Forbes magazine
- @goinglobal – Finding jobs in the U.S. or abroad
- @lindseypollak – LinkedIn expert and author of “Getting from College to Career”
- @LinkedIn – Official LinkedIn
- @USAJOBS – Official US Government job site
- @VaultCareers – Career and job search advice
- @YouTern – Internship and entry-level job search advice