Academic Affairs Council
October 26, 2004
Present: Ken Gilbertson, Randy Gordon, Cindy Spillers, Dan Glisczinski, Bud
McClure (guest), Lynn Velander (recorder)
Absent: Jackie Millslagle
Convened at 11:05 a.m.
1. CC#33, Add Psy 3550, Sports Psychology, 4 cr. Bud McClure attended meeting to initiate the discussion of potential duplication of content; a degree of duplication was a concern as well as the instructor teaching the course (accreditation driven), after much discussion, the degree of duplication was no longer a concern and Bud McClure emphasized that he had met with Dean Paul Deputy and that Mark Nierengarten (Dept Head/HPER) had a phone interview with said instructor prior to him being hired in regards to his qualifications for this course. Motion to approve - 3 yes, 1 no - CARRIED
2. Coaching Minor - no problem with concept; discussion in regards to adjustments in credits justified, yes, courses were condensed because of conversion from quarters to semesters; students "in process" of coaching minor are grandfathered in.
- CC#13 - Add CC 3101, Sport Science Applications, 3 cr - CARRIED
- CC#14 - Drop CC 3100, Sport Science for Coaches, 3 cr - CARRIED
- CC#15 - Change CC 3160, Psychological Aspects of Coaching, from 2 to 3 cr - CARRIED
- CC#16 - Change CC 3161, Administrative Aspects of Coaching, from 2 to 3 cr - CARRIED
- CC#17 - Change CC3150, Coaching Methods, from 2 to 3 cr - CARRIED
- CC#19 - Change CC 3997, Coaching Practicum, from 1 to 2 cr - CARRIED
- CC#30 - Add CC 3117, Functional Anatomy, Sport Inj Mgmt, 3 cr - CARRIED
- CC#31 - Drop CC 3116, Care and Prevention of Sports Injuries, 3 cr - CARRIED
3. B.A.S. Exercise Science - discussion in regards to whether the increase in credits would result in an increase in the instructor's workload. HPER has hired an instructor to pick up some of this workload. Discussion also in regards to what "nature of change is to add depth" meant, in response, spending more time on text.
- CC#36 - Change ESAT 3430, Clinical Exercise Physiology, from 2 to 4 cr - CARRIED
- CC#37 - Change ESAT 3200, Motor Learning, from 3 to 4 cr - CARRIED
- CC#38 - Change ESAT 3210, Exercise Adherence, from 3 to 4 cr - CARRIED
- CC#39 - Change ESAT 3420, Exercise Testing and Prescription, from 3 to 4 cr - CARRIED
- CC#40 - Change ESAT 3430, Principles of Strength and Conditioning Programs, from 3 to 4 cr - CARRIED
- CC#41 - Add, ESAT 3432, Exercise Leadership, 3 cr - CARRIED
- CC#42 - Change, ESAT 4700, Stats & Methods in Exercise Science, from 3 to 4 cr - CARRIED
- CC#43 - Change, ESAT 3450, Management Fitness Facilities, change course designator and name from PEP 3500 Facilities Management to ESAT 3450 Management of Fitness Facilities - CARRIED
- CC#44 - Change, ESAT 3420, Performance Nutri Weight Mgmt, from 3 to 4 cr, rename from Sports Nutrition - CARRIED
Adjourned - 12:00 p.m.
Lynn Velander, Recorder