Annual Faculty Performance Evaluation for Merit Determination
2011 Evaluation Year
January 1, 2012 - December 31, 2012
- Annual Performance Evaluation Report (APER) (Word file)
- Faculty Evaluation of Department Head Annual Performance (Word file)
GUIDELINES FOR FACULTY
- Submit a completed APER to the Department Head by March 1, 2013. As outlined in Section 202.000-202.400 of the UEA Agreement, attach tabulated survey results from course evaluations. You do not need to provide any other documentation of the contents of the APER. The APER and your Department Head's recommendation and verification will be placed in your Academic Record File. Details about each section of the APER are outlined below.
- Submit your Faculty Evaluation of Department Head directly to the Dean by March 15, 2013. The results of this form will be used by the Dean and the Department Head to formulate goals for enhanced Department Head performance.
Determination of Merit Percentages
A final rating for merit distribution is calculated using approved distribution of effort percentages:
- Tenure track and tenured faculty members are evaluated using 60% for teaching, 30% for research, and 10% for service.
- Non-regular (contract) faculty are evaluated using 90% for teaching and 10% for service.
You may only indicate an exception on this part of the APER if a signed Request for Change of Merit Percentage form is on file for the current evaluation year. See section 250.400 of the current contract.
If you plan to request a change of merit percentage for the next evaluation year (2012), the Request of Change of Merit Percentage (Word file) must be on file by March 15, 2013. Changing the merit percentages is for determination of merit purposes for the evaluation year due to some activity that year such as grant administration and does not represent a change in workload assignment.
Teaching, Research and Professional Productivity, Service/Outreach Sections
Summary Statement and Self-Evaluation
Provide a summary statement of the highlights and accomplishments of your overall performance. For each performance category, you may choose to list new endeavors, innovative instructional development, or use of technology in teaching, research or service. Provide a self-rating using the following scale. A faculty member who is doing well and is meeting expectations should receive a 3. The ratings will generally be in whole numbers (4,3,2,1) but mid ratings (i.e. 3.5, 2.5 ) may be used. Ratings above 3 signify accomplishments above expectations and 4 signifies extraordinary accomplishment.
Promotion and Tenure and the APER
Tenure-track faculty, or tenured associate professors who plan to seek professor rank, should maintain extensive documentation of the data collected on the APER each year it is submitted. Effective organization and presentation of yearly APER data is critical to the promotion and tenure process.
GUIDELINES FOR DEPARTMENT HEADS
Department Head Responsibilities
- Complete a Recommendation and Verification form for each faculty member.
- Submit the completed APERs, and the Recommendation and Verification forms for each faculty member in one packet to the Dean's Office by March 15, 2013.
- Complete a Departmental Rating Summary form (Excel file) using individual faculty performance data and submit to the Dean´s office by March 15, 2013.