Graduate Program Council
November 13, 2008
Present: Alexandra Luong, Molly Minkkinen, Dennis Falk, Ken Gilbertson, Bruce Munson
Excused: Faith Loven
Ken introduced a proposal from proposed the following changes to CEHSP GPC guidelines:
Change course requirements from:
- “A minimum 30 semester credits, 5000-level or above, which have not been used to fulfill an undergraduate requirement, or 4000-level that have been approved for graduate credit through the Graduate School.”
- “A minimum of 30 semester credits 5000-level or above, which have not been used to fulfill an undergraduate requirement, or 4000-level that have been approved by the UMD CEHSP Graduate Program Council.
In discussion it was noted that this was a proposal for the M.Ed. program which is a collegiate degree that is not under Graduate School policies. The potential benefits and impacts of the policy change were discussed. The committee gave unanimous approval to this proposal.
Ken introduced the following proposal:
- A student may enroll at any time during their graduate studies at the guidance and approval of the students graduate committee chair.
- A student must be enrolled in a minimum of 1 cr. (EHS 5990) while working with their committee chair.
In discussion it was noted that this could help encourage students to complete their programs in a timely manner and would acknowledge the efforts of the committee chair as s/he continued to work with the master’s student. It was also noted that this could create tracking issues for the graduate program office in CEHSP. Molly indicated she would prefer to discuss the impacts of this proposal with the Education graduate committee since it would impact the greatest number of students there.
Potential changes to the wording of the proposal mentioned throughout the discussion. The following may capture the intent of the suggested changes:
- A student may enroll at any time during their graduate studies with the guidance and approval of the student’s graduate committee chair.
- A committee chair can require a student be enrolled for a minimum of 1 cr. (EHS 5990) during any semester the student is working on their final project/thesis with their committee chair.
The proposal was tabled pending further discussion in the Education Department.
Ken’s third proposal was tabled until the next GPC meeting.
SpEd 5795 – a Special Topics course: Structure and Function of the Eye and Principles of Low Vision – was unanimously approved.
SW 5095 - a Special Topics course: A Problem-based Approach to Clinical Assessment and Intervention - that has received prior approval in 2007-2008 and that was also approved as SW 8070 a graduate course that is still pending final approval by the Graduate School – was unanimously approved.
The CV’s of Jill Torres and Beth Ruark were reviewed. Both are faculty in the Department of Education. Both were unanimously approved to serve as MEd committee members. The request for their approval came from the M.Ed. in EE program.
Discussion of the curriculum evaluation tool for use by GPC was tabled until the next meeting.