Master of Special Education
Summer Program Schedule 2011-2013
Summer I (2011)
- SpEd 7800 (3) Special Education Law
- Examination of special education statutory law and case law, principles of Individuals with Disabilities Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
- SpEd 7100 (3) Professional Issues in Special Education
- Provides graduate candidates a seminar to write about and discuss current professional issues raised in recognized sources within the field of special and general education (e.g., journals, education news sources, and topical conferences).
- Educ 7004 (4) Research Methods in Education
- Prepares students to design and conduct a scholarly research project. Practical application of the range of methods employed in educational research is guided by the principle, goodness of fit. Ethical issues in research with human subjects will include preparation of an IRB application.
Summer II (2012)
- SpEd 7200 (3) Advanced Behavior Management Principles and Practices
- Application of theory and techniques in behavior management, assessment, intervention, monitoring, generalizing, and maintenance in behaviors of individuals with exceptionalities. Focus is on advanced principles and practices in behavior management as well as social skill instruction.
- SpEd 7710 (3) Practice, Research, & Leadership I
- Analysis of research approaches, preparation standards, leadership skills, and current issues and trends in special education, leading to a professional development plan. Information technology, professional ethics, and reflective change processes.
- Educ 7444 (3) Principles of Program Evaluation in Educational Settings
- Models, theories, and philosophies of program evaluation in education settings; evaluation of general and special education curriculum; specific strategies for family and professional involvement in educational planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Educ 7XXX (3) Advanced Statistics
Summer III (2013)
SpEd 7912 (3) Special Education Administration and Supervision
- Analyze administrative theory that is applicable to special education, curricula development, fiscal issues, interagency agreements, role of human resources management and improvement of teaching with emphasis on effective procedures.
- SpEd 7720 (3) Practice, Research & Leadership II
- Synthesis of research methods, special education research in selected areas, and change processes for groups in order to increase one's leadership capacity. Technology-based sources of educational research, leadership models, and strategic planning processes.
- SpEd 7730 (3) Practice, Research, & Practice III
- Application of research and leadership skills to improve one's practice in special education. Educational organizations and approaches to organizational change. Socialization into leadership roles in special education profession through presentations, publications, and participation in national discussions.