CEHSP requires all entering undergraduate students to have a laptop computer.
The Computer Corner, part of UMD Stores, offers several laptop specials featuring extended warranties and competitive prices. Their toll free phone number is (866) 726-8631. Students may be able to get a tax break when purchasing a laptop on campus; contact Jim Kolar for details. Laptops may by purchased from any vendor, as preferred.
Minimum Laptop Specifications:
- Windows 7 or Mac OS 10.6 (or newer) 10.6
- 2 GHz processor (multi-core Intel, AMD, or Mac)
120 GB or larger hard drive
2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended for 64-bit OS)
802.11g or newer Wireless network
10/100 Ethernet network
CD-RW /DVD-ROM drive
1 GB USB Flash Drive (to transfer files)
- 3-4 year Service/Maintenance plan
- Accidental Damage Plan or Insurance
- VGA external display adapter
- ITSS's Computer Maintenance supports computer equipment from some vendors.
SoftwareLearn about important changes to Microsoft and anti-virus software contracts.
- UMD requires antivirus software. Symantec Antivirus is available (through June 30, 2013) through ITSS, at no charge, to all UMD students. Other free recommendations are Sophos for Mac, Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP and 7 and Windows Defender for Windows 8 (included with Windows 8).
- CEHSP students have access to SPSS at no cost. Please refer to ITSS's SPSS Software Page.
- Other software such as Microsoft Windows 7 or MS Office is subsidized by the University and available at a greatly reduced fee. Please refer to ITSS's Software Page.
Financial Aid for Laptop Purchase
- All UMD students may include the cost of a personal computer in their Financial Aid request. Contact the UMD Office of Admissions for more information, at (800) 232-1339, or (218) 726-7171, or email@example.com.
- To determine if the cost of the computer can be included in your financial aid package, see the "Request to Include the Cost of Personal Computer" form at: http://www.d.umn.edu/fareg/forms.htm.
Collegiate Technology Requirements
UMD's Collegiate Unit Technology Requirements page shows requirements for all the collegiate units.