Message from Chancellor Black
Campus Climate Change Organization
Achievements and Reports
Advancement Unit Change Team Report February 21, 2012
Advancement, KUMD, and Athletics
2012 Current Advancement UCT Membership
We have requested additional input and participation from Athletics, and also will be soliciting collaboration /input from the International Student Services, Office of Student Conduct, Office of Civic Engagement, Admissions and multiple community organizations.
Spring 2012 UCT for Advancement - Calendar of Meetings - Tuesdays at 11am
7. Develop partnerships with the surrounding community around diversity and social justice issues.
2.4 Recruit & retaining a diverse student body to serve indigenous people.” Increase access and knowledge of UMD for local minorities in conjunction with:
Preliminary Ideas for accomplishing action plans
* Expand connections to Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College. Extend UMD student opportunities to attend their campus for events? Make connections between KUMD and their new radio station.
* Create a high-school freshman event at UMD to encourage college prep for all students. Invite local native schools, local minority students to learn about UMD degrees and programs.
* Produce a radio series of panel discussions combining community experts and UMD faculty & students in conversations surrounding Native, LGBT, Accessibility issues and more. (We are working on funding)
* Find a way to share Ojibwa language throughout campus?
* Partner with Zinema to offer a free film series for the public around issues of cultural understanding. Student extra credit? Host/Introduction by UMD professors and students.
* Host a dinner for UMD International Students over Spring Break
* Publicize and raise awareness and understanding of UMD Student Conduct Code.
* Expand dissemination of the UMD “Eliminate Hate Incidents” pamphlet.
* Define and identify specific hate speech that is not allowed under the student Conduct Code to allow for clear recognition of incidents.
* Create policy recommendations to eliminate repeat hate speech at UMD Men’s Hockey Games and other UMD sporting events to allow for better enforcement.