Vision Group 9: Athletics and Recreation
Vision Group Members
Nathan Williams (student)
Sara Anderson (student)
Dylan Rodriguez (student)
Proposed Vision for UMD in 2020 Related to this Topic
In 2020, UMD is a place where the Intercollegiate Athletic Department and Department of Recreational Sports Outdoor Program provides students with high quality participatory experiences and competition integrated with positive institutional learning outcomes utilizing state of the art facilities. Faculty, staff, and the greater community are exposed to a variety of diverse athletic and recreational activities as participants or spectators. These activities constitute the "front porch" of the institution welcoming community engagement and positive relationships with UMD. While student centered, we recognize and embrace our role in building a sense of community and school pride on campus as well as serving as a bridge with alumni, youth, and the greater community. Acknowledging that Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreational Sports Outdoor Program share facilities and some outcomes, it is important that we embrace and sustain our distinctly different missions.
*The Intercollegiate Athletic Department is committed to life in balance with high quality coaching, sport medicine, academic support services, the highest level of competitive opportunities, and outstanding facilities to enable each student to reach personal, academic, and athletic excellence while staying integrated with our diverse constituents.
* Recreational Sports Outdoor Program provides diverse populations with accessible opportunities for developing a healthy and active lifestyle using the outstanding facilities and resources of the UMD campus and the natural environment of Northern Minnesota. These dynamic opportunities are based on UMD’s integrated learning outcomes and promote environmental sustainability and personal wellness.
Proposed Goals for UMD to Achieve in the Next Three-Five Years Related to this Topic
- Develop and maintain state of the art facilities and support spaces as well as provide appropriate resources to ensure the highest quality athletic and recreational experiences for students, faculty, staff, and the greater community.
Proposed Action Steps for UMD to Achieve in the Next One-Two Years Related to this Topic
Goal #1: Develop and maintain state of the art facilities and support spaces as well as provide appropriate resources to ensure the highest quality athletic and recreational experiences for students, faculty, staff, and the greater community.
- Develop a conceptual plan and timeline for the construction of new aquatics facility. (Including new pool, supporting spaces, and academic space for HPER)
- Develop and implement a conceptual plan and timeline for upgrading and expanding recreational fields that includes synthetic surfacing and energy efficient lighting.
- Develop and implement a conceptual plan and timeline to upgrade Romano Gymnasium and the lobby area entrance of the Sports and Health Center. (Included will be a permanent display area for the Intercollegiate Athletic Hall of Fame, information desk for Athletics and RSOP, and a permanent space for UMD Stores)
- Collaborate with the UMD campus master planning group so we can better serve the community and outside visitors coming to campus events sponsored by Intercollegiate Athletics and RSOP. (Included would be discussion of a potential new entrance to campus, a parking ramp; directional signage of buildings, roads, areas on campus; distinctive naming of parking lots)
- Expand two internal areas of “Development” and “Academic Support” for Intercollegiate Athletics by hiring separate positions to direct fundraising and academic advising.
- Remodel and expand the footprint of all Intercollegiate Athletic Team locker room space in the Sports and Health Center, including equipment storage and laundry areas.