- Heikal, A.A. Intracellular coenzymes as natural biomarkers for metabolic activities and mitochondrial anomalies. Biomarkers in Medicine, 4(2): 241-263 (2010); Invited Review.
- Yu, Q. and A.A. Heikal. Two-photon autofluorescence dynamics imaging reveals sensitivity of intracellular NADH concentration and conformation to cell physiology at the single-cell level. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology (B): Biology, 95: 46–57 (2009); Press Release.
- Vishwasrao, H.D., A.A. Heikal, K.A. Kasischke, and W.W. Webb. Conformational dependence of intracellular NADH on metabolic state revealed by associated fluorescence anisotropy. J. Biol. Chem., 280:25119-25126 (2005); Press Release, Issue Cover and Paper of the Week.
- Huang, S., A.A. Heikal, and W.W. Webb. Two-photon fluorescence spectroscopy and microscopy on NAD(P)H and flavoprotein, Biophys. J., 82:2811-2825 (2002).
Mitochondrial Function (Heikal, Biomarkers in Medicine, 2010)
- Ariola, F.S., Z. Li, C. Cornejo, R. Bittman, and A.A. Heikal. Membrane fluidity and lipid order in ternary giant unilamellar vesicles using a new Bodipy-cholesterol derivative. Biophysical Journal, April Issue, 96(7), 2696–2708 (2009).
- Ariola, F.S., D.J. Mudaliar, R.P. Walvick, and A.A. Heikal. Dynamics imaging of lipid phases and lipid-marker interactions in model biomembranes. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 8:4517-4529 (2006).
Phase Separation in GUVs Labeled with Bodipy-Cholesterol and DiI-C12 (Ariola et al. Biophys. J. 2009)
- Davey, A.M., K. Krise. E.D. Sheets, and A.A. Heikal. Molecular perspective of antigen-mediated mast cell signaling. J. Biol. Chem., 283:7117-7127 (2008); Press Release.
- Davey, A.M., R.P. Walvick, Y. Liu, A.A. Heikal, and E.D. Sheets. Membrane order and molecular dynamics associated with IgE receptor crosslinking in mast cells. Biophys. J., 92:343-355 (2007).
IgE Receptor Signaling Pathway (Davey et al, Biophys. J., 2007)
- Liu, Y., H.-R. Kim, and A.A. Heikal. Structural basis of fluorescence fluctuation dynamics of green fluorescent proteins in acidic environments. J. Phys. Chem. B, 110:24138-24146 (2006).
- Hess, S.T.,E.D. Sheets, A. Wagenknecht-Wiesner, and A.A. Heikal. Quantitative analysis of the fluorescence properties of intrinsically fluorescent proteins in living cells. Biophys. J., 85:2566-2580 (2003).
- Heikal, A.A., S.T. Hess, G.S. Baird, R.Y. Tsien, and W.W. Webb. Molecular spectroscopy and dynamics of intrinsically fluorescent proteins: coral red (dsRed) and yellow (Citrine). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 97:11996-12001 (2000).
- Yu, Q., M. Proia, and A.A. Heikal. Integrated biophotonics approach for noninvasive and multiscale studies of biomolecular and cellular biophysics. J. Biomed. Optics; July/August Issue, 13(4):0413151-14, (2008).