- An Oyster in the Storm -- Paul Greenburg, The New York Times (30 October 2012)
- BBC Guide to Preparing and Eating Shellfish
- Beahrs, Andrew. Twain's Feast: Searching for America's Lost Foods in the Footsteps of Samuel Clemens, NY: Penguin, 2010.
- FishBase online -- Comprehensive database
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- The Food Timeline -- Lynne Olver, Morris County Library NJ
- Freshwater and Marine Image Bank—Shellfish -- University of Washington Libraries
- Human Activity May Have Boosted Shellfish Size, Archaeological Study Shows -- ScienceDaily (31 August 2010)
- Island Tool Finds Show Early Settlers' Diversity -- BBCNews (04 March 2011)
- Kim, Kwang Ok (Ed.). Re-orienting Cuisine: East Asian Foodways in the Twenty-First Century. Food, Nutrition, and Culture Series. NY: Berghahn, 2015.
- Kurlansky, Mark. The Big Oyster: History on the Half Shell. NY: Random House, 2007.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Neanderthals 'Enjoyed Broad Menu' -- BBCNews (23 September 2008)
- Nutrition Facts for Various Shellfish -- HealthAliciousNess
- Oysters and Crabs, the Popcorn of Shakespearean Theatergoers -- DiscoveryNews (12 February 2010)
- This seafood buffet was held 11,000 years ago -- MSNBC (03 March 2011)
- Seafood Gave Us the Edge on the Neanderthals -- New Scientist (12 August 2009)
- Sea Web
- Shellfish Gallery --
The National Shellfisheries Association
- Shellfish News
- Stott, Rebecca: Oyster. London: Reaktion, 2004.
- Timmerman, Kelsey. Where Am I Eating?: An Adventure Through the Global Food Economy with Discussion Questions and a Guide to Going "Glocal". Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2014.
- Toussaint-Samat, Maguelonne. A History of Food. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons/Blackwell 2009.
- Townsend, Elisabeth. Lobster: A Global History. London: Reaktion, 2011.
- USDA Economic Research Service