- Start ahead. Access the course site if possible at least a couple days if not a week before the start date. This will ensure that you can get started and test any technical requirements.
- Read the course syllabus and information thoroughly. Get acquainted with navigating your course site. Ensure that you have all the required course materials and technical requirements, so that you will not to be delayed later on. Get a feel for the course, so that you can make decisions on whether you can complete it or not.
- Create or use an electronic calendar (typically, most course sites have a built in calendar), you may use the electronic calendar in your MyU portal or your personal Google calendar or other such calendar tools. Set reminders and deadlines for assignments and exams.
- Make a study schedule. Set aside a time to "attend" class, and study times. Online courses have the advantage of being flexible with regards to time and space, however they require a sense of discipline and commitment in order to complete the course work successfully. Some online courses may have deadlines for assignments, but others might not. Set goals for the week, this will help you stay on track.
- Be aware that some of your online courses may require some real time/synchronous meetings (where you will connect with your instructor and peers live). Find out whether you have such meetings and schedule your day accordingly. Be aware of time differences if you are located in a different time zone. You may use your phones or search online for time zones to determine time differences to be accurate and avoid any confusions.
- Communicate with the instructor frequently, and ask questions before you start following behind.
- Communicate with class peers if the option exists, use class discussion forums, and email to communicate with class peers. Building a class community can really enhance your learning experience. Peers can inspire and motivate you.
- Be aware of all the student support resources available, and make use of them when needed or appropriate.