College of Liberal Arts Student Affairs and Advising Center
Mission – Values – Goals
The Student Affairs and Advising Center’s mission is to enhance the student experience by supplying the guidance, information, and education necessary to help students participate in CLA and UMD as confident, independent learners.
- Student success is a comprehensive, transformative process that integrates academic learning and student development.
- Timely, accurate information regarding university policies and procedures is every student’s right. Accessing this information is every student’s responsibility.
- Positive student-faculty and student-staff interactions are essential to learning, growth, and satisfaction.
- Students are responsible for making independent and informed decisions regarding their academic careers.
- Parents and/or family members and the University are partners in student development.
- Technology-based advising resources are an essential cornerstone in a comprehensive, college-wide advising program.
The Student Affairs and Advising Center contributes to student success primarily by:
- Assisting students pursuing majors and minors within the College of Liberal Arts;
- Collaborating with and aiding faculty academic advisors;
- Supporting undecided students in their transition to college and the academic major exploration process.