You are here
University of Minnesota Policy Statement
The University of Minnesota (the “University”) is committed to taking prompt and effective steps intended to end sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, relationship violence, and related retaliation, prevent their recurrence and, as appropriate, remedy their effects. This policy outlines the University’s definitions and procedures related to these types of misconduct. This policy applies to University members, who include:
- University students, whether enrolled full time or part time, for credit or non-credit courses;
- University employees as defined in this policy; and
- third parties who are engaged in any University activity or program, or who are otherwise interacting with the University, including, but not limited to, volunteers, contractors, vendors, visitors, and guests.
This policy applies to acts of sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, relationship violence, and related retaliation committed by or against students, employees, and third parties when:
- the conduct occurs on University property;
- the conduct occurs in the context of a University employment or education program or activity, including, but not limited to, University-sponsored academic, athletic, extracurricular, study abroad, research, on-line or internship programs or activities;
- the conduct occurs off University property and outside the context of a University employment or education program or activity, but has a continuing adverse effect on or creates a hostile environment for students, employees, or third parties while on University property or in any University employment or education program or activity; or
- the conduct indicates that the respondent may present a danger or threat to the health or safety of University members.
To the extent any provision of this policy conflicts with Board of Regents Policy: Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Stalking and Relationship Violence, the Board policy controls. To the extent any provision of this policy conflicts with any other University policy, this policy controls. Nothing in this policy should be interpreted to abridge academic freedom or principles of free speech.
The information on this page is a subsection of the University of Minnesota's Administrative Policy for Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Stalking and Relationship Violence. It has been selected for this webpage based on it's relevance to students in the student conduct process. To view this policy in its entirety, please visit the policy library.