Parents & Families Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
All University of Minnesota Duluth students are held to the Board of Regents Student Conduct Code.
UMD is able to notify parents when:
- the health or safety of a student or other individual is threatened,
- the student signs a waiver permitting the release, or;
- the University is able to determine the student is financially dependent for tax purposes.
In order to discuss a case with parents, the student must sign a FERPA Information Release waiver naming the particular individuals with whom details may be shared.
Tips for Families
- Discuss the incident with your student. Be sure to listen carefully and critically.
- Clarify your expectations and values to your student.
- Take this opportunity to have an open discussion with your student about the process of making decisions consistent with their own values, ethics, and future goals.
- Encourage your student to understand the conduct process.
- Brainstorm with your student ways to overcome past mistakes.
- Focus on the behavior that resulted in the incident rather than the student's character.