UM Technology Enhanced Learning Project Description
Normal Adult Swallow -1/3 Teaspoon Ground Meat
and 1/4 Cookie
The subject is a 47 year old male with no history of swallowing problems.
This segment may be watched in 3 parts:
1. Oral Preparatory Phase
2. Pharyngeal Phase
3. A second swallow was needed to clear all the material
1/3 Teaspoon Ground Meat and 1/4 Cookie
In this segment, please note:
- The rotary lateral movement of the mandible and tongue
- The formation of the bolus
- During chewing, the soft palate is not pulled down and forward and material falls into the pharynx partially before the pharyngeal phase is triggered
- Bolus size decrease with the viscosity of food; J.P. swallowed twice on the ground meat material
Go Back to Main Menu
Special thanks to St.Mary's/Duluth Clinic (SMDC) Radiology and Speech Pathology departments for providing the videofluroscopy studies of the normal adult.