You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

red tulips

What is the biggest difference between high school and college?

In college, students are responsible for their own education.  The student plays an active role in the accommodation process, from requesting disability accommodations, to explaining the impact of their condition, to talking with faculty members about accommodations.  

Accommodations are designed to remove barriers and ensure access; success is the responsibility of the student. Please visit our Prospective Student page to learn more.

What are the most commonly used accommodations?

Accommodations are individualized and made on a case-by-case basis.  We consider the student’s strengths and limitations, as well as the nature of classes selected.  Commonly used accommodations include test accommodations, reading accommodations, note taking accommodations, assistive technology, and sign language interpreting.

Accommodations made to a course should never compromise course objectives or diminish academic standards.

How do I request disability accommodations?

After you have been admitted and have registered for classes:

  • Complete a Request for Accommodations form.
  • Make an appointment to meet with a disability specialist as early in the semester as possible.  Be sure to bring your course schedule and syllabi to your appointment!
  • Provide a copy of your disability documentation.
  • Be ready to talk about how your disability diagnosis impacts you, and your strengths and limitations as a student.
  • Your disability specialist will work with you to consider your classes, the impact of your disability diagnosis, and your strengths as a student to develop a plan for accommodations.

Will using accommodations go on my academic record?

No. Using accommodations does not go on your academic record. Disability Resources records are kept separate from all other academic records.

What kind of documentation do I need?

Documentation is confidential information from a qualified professional that is knowledgeable about your condition. This might be a therapist, doctor, rehabilitation counselor, audiologist, nurse practitioner, or mobility specialist. Documentation can vary in length and format, but should focus on the ways the condition currently affects you---especially in an academic environment. Your disability counselor can guide you in how to get current and complete documentation if necessary.

I need accommodations to my meal plan.  What do I do?

To request accommodations to your meal plan, follow the process for requesting accommodations.  Be sure to have a copy of your documentation and be prepared to discuss how your diagnosed condition impacts your ability to access on-campus dining options.  For more information about meal plan accommodations, please click here.

Are accommodations available for on-campus housing?

Requests for accommodations in on-campus housing are considered on a case-by-case basis.  To learn more about the process for requesting housing accommodations, call Disability Resources at 218-726-6130.   

Is flexible attendance ever a reasonable accommodation?

Flexible attendance may be a reasonable for students whose disability history and current documentation provide a rationale for this accommodation. Attendance accommodation decisions are made on a case-by-case basis and consider the student’s history, documented condition, and input from faculty members about essential course requirements.

Accommodations made to a course should never compromise course objectives or diminish academic standards.