You are here
Accessible Reading Materials
Alternate Format Texts
Available to students who have disability related barriers that impact the reading process. Use the on-line request form below for textbooks in this format. There are several options available for alternative format text such as:
- E-text books
- Audio books
Read and Write Gold
Read and Write Gold is a text to speech program that is available to all UMD students free of charge. It can help with reading, writing, study skills, and research. Use the links below to download Read and Write Gold to your computer.
Ordering your E-Text Books
- Request your alternate format materials early. Alternative format requests can take up to 4 weeks to fulfill so it is important to request your books early.
- Check the UMD Stores lists for required textbooks. If the books for your classes are not listed yet, contact your instructors and ask about required reading materials.
- Buy the textbooks. Book publishers and copyright laws require that textbook be purchased before accessible materials can be shared with the student. You will be asked to submit proof of purchase or receipts for the books.
- Submit a separate E-Text Book Request for each class. You may request up to three books for one class on the same form
- Materials may not be reproduced or shared. See the UMD Student Code of Conduct for more information.
- Notify your Disability Specialist immediately of changes in your book needs.