You are here

Prospective Students

aerial view lake superior

Welcome Future Bulldogs!

We can't wait to meet you!

Accommodations Available 

Accommodation decisions are made on a case by case basis and consider the student’s strengths, limitations, and nature of the classes selected.

  • Test accommodations: extended time or quiet environment
  • Reading accommodations: audio books, e-text, text to speech software
  • Note taking accommodations
  • Interpreting
  • Assitive Technology
  • Housing & Dining accommodations

How to Request Accommodations

  • Complete the Request for Accommodations form
  • Provide a copy of your documentation
  • Meet with a disability specialist at the beginning of the semester. Bring your course schedule & syllabi to the appointment!
  • Be ready to talk about how your disability impacts you, as well as your strengths and limitations
  • You will work with your specialist to develop a plan that best fits your needs

Admission Requirements

All students must meet UMD’s admission standardsIf you have special circumstances, including the impact of disability on your education that you would like us to consider, please submit a letter with your application explaining what you would like us to know. Your application will be reviewed by both our office and Admissions staff.

What are the differences between high school and college?

 High school                                           College

The case manager and or parent act as the student’s advocate.

The student is their own advocate.

(IDEA) Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act

(ADA)  Americans with Disabilities Act / 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

Accommodations and modifications are communicated to the teachers by the case manager.

Students must request accommodations and provide professional documentation.  

Services are delivered to the student.

Students must request accommodations at the college’s disability services office.

The school informs the parents of the student’s progress.

The school cannot communicate with the parents without the student’s permission.

There are regular meetings to discuss the student’s progress.

Students are responsible to monitor their own progress and seek assistance as needed.

Services may include individually designed instruction, curriculum modifications, and accommodations based upon the IEP.

Only reasonable accommodations are available based on professional documentation.

Teachers approach you if they believe you need assistance.

Professors are usually open and helpful but most expect you to initiate contact if you need assistance.

IEP/504 Plans are implemented and followed.

IEP/504 plans expire when you go to college.