University of Minnesota Duluth
Education Endazhi-gikinoo'amaading 150
412 Library Dive
Duluth, MN 55812-3029
Regular hours - 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
Scheduled Mandatory Meetings
- Sept. 14, 2012 -Ballroom 8:00am to 12:00pm
Insurance is good for one school year. So if you purchased last Fall, you will need to purchase again for this Fall. Please bring a copy of your receipt with you to the meeting.
- Background check must be completed-Directions below
Student Teaching applications are due the fourth Friday of each semester, at 4 p.m. in 150 EduE, for the following semester. They are to be turned into Tracy Hansen-ONLY! Her hours are 7:30-12:30 and 1:30-4pm. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST DAY TO TURN YOUR APPLICATION IN. (All signatures are needed and some advisors may not be available on Friday.
Check specific deadline dates
Student Teaching Application - Form
Student Teaching Application Instructions
Field Placement/Practicums, Apprenticeships, Student Teaching
- All block placements will be made locally, in northern Wisconsin, or on the Iron Range
- School practicums begin the third Friday of the semester
- Student teaching placements will be made locally, northern Wisconsin, Iron Range, I-35 corridor, Minneapolis, St. Paul, 695 corridor, and globally at UMD’s international partner sites.
- At least one practicum or student teaching placement must be at a school with a minimum diversity of 30% cultural and/or 30% free and reduced lunch and/or 10% IEP. (Percentages are taken from the Minnesota Department of Education demographics site defining diversity.)
- Student teachers placed in the Twin Cities must be at a school with at least 30% cultural diversity.
- Cooperating teachers evaluate each candidate
- UMD supervisors will visit each student teacher at his/her school placement
- Domain A-Block I
- Domain B-Block I
- Domain C-Block II
- Domain D-Block II
- Domain E-Block III
BACKGROUND CHECK FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND INFORMATION
THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION DOES NOT PROVIDE A COPY OF THE BACKGROUND CHECK TO YOUR PLACEMENT SCHOOL. YOU(THE STUDENT)ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS ACCESS TO A COPY AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING IT THE SCHOOL IF NEEDED! The Office of Field Experiences notifies the school that you have had one completed but we DO NOT PROVIDE A COPY!
- Where do I go to get a background check?
- What Forms do I use?
- Where do the forms get turned in?
- Betsy Behning, Dept. Of Human Resources, ATTN: Background Checks, 255 Darland Admin, 1049 University Dr, Duluth, MN 55812
- (This information is right on the bottom of the form.)
- How long is it good for?
- What if I had one done somewhere else, is that one good?
- No, they need to be done by UMD
- How do I get a copy of it?
- You will receive an email from Hire Right with your background notification. This email will provide you with directions on how to obtain a copy of your
- background check. SAVE THIS EMAIL!!!
- What if I deleted the email from Hire Right?
- You will need to contact Betsy Behning, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or Contact Hire Right, email@example.com, (866)521-6995
- Do you do Fingerprint cards?
- No, that is not a part of the background check through UMD.
- I was assessed the Fee twice?
- If you had a background check last semester you will see a fee assessed on your account and now you may see it again
- Please be aware that we are currently working on a fix for this and we expect the second fee will be reversed on your
- account within the next couple of weeks.
- I had a background check THROUGH UMD in the last year, DO I still need to do one?
- No. they are valid for two years, as long as you had it through UMD
Handbooks for Student Teachers
- Unified Early Childhood/Elementary/Secondary Student Teaching Handbook (revised 9/27/10): (as a Word file)
- Special Education Student Teaching Handbook: (as a Word file) or (as a PDF file)
- Procedures and policies, including reference to state-mandated policies related to teaching licensure programs can be found in the Student Teaching Handbook.
Student teaching is handled by the Office of Field Experiences in 150 EduE:
- Jim Sersha, (218)726-7483: Director of Field Experiences, Eled Placement Contact
- Tracy Hansen , (218)726-8627: Executive Office and Admin Specialist
- Beth Ruark, (218)726-6682:Instructor, Early Childhood Placement Contact
- Jill Torres, (218)726-6758:Instructor,Secondary Placement Contact
Fax: (218) 726-8354
Pearson Testing will replace Praxis.
Four Student Teacher Technology Kits allow UMD students to enrich their student teaching experiences through the loan of a laptop, projector and digital camera.
Get Adobe Reader for viewing PDF files