Laptops on Carts
The Department of Education has two carts of HP laptops running Windows 2007.
- There are two carts with 16 laptops each. Inside each cart is a
sheet that shows how many laptops are on the cart at a given time,
as laptops are occasionally out for repair.
- Individual laptops should not be removed from the carts during the fall
or spring semester, so instructors will have enough laptops for their classes.
- The HPs run at a speed of 2.6 GHz.
Carts are reserved and signed out on the calendars at the front desk in EduE 150. There is one for each cart. Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis. Faculty are asked to continue to cooperate to resolve potential scheduling conflicts.
Network Connection and Authentication
- All laptops on carts connect to the Internet wirelessly.
- Users must authenticate (log in) to connect to the UMD network in
order to get online.
- To authenticate, use either Virtual Private Network or a web browser
(see next bullet).
- Web browsers are automatically directed to UMD's login page.
- There is a clipboard on each cart for noting
problems or needed repairs
- For tech support during class, call or send a student the Audio Visual office,
165 Kirby Plaza (726-6222). Schedule:
- Fall and Spring semesters:
- 7:30 a.m. until 10 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and
- 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Friday.
- Summer sessions: 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Sign the cart out.
- Ensure that all laptops are returned to the cart, and that the cart is neat and organized.
the cart to the Tech room in EduE 104.
- Plug the laptops into the cart outlets, and the carts into the wall outlets:
- One cart has one plug.
- The other cart has two plugs; users are advised to turn the power switch on each side of the PC cart off, temporarily, while plugging the cart in, to minimize sparking.
Batteries and Power Supplies
- Even when plugged in overnight,
laptops are sometimes used all day long, and the batteries become
- Students can sit around
the edges of Montague 121/151 to get power.
- Geometers Sketchpad
- Microworlds Pro
- TI Software: Class Analysis, Connect, Learning Check, Navigator and Network Manager
- Inspiration 9
- Kidspiration 3