| Biological Emergencies
||In case of bio-hazardous material
spill, or Exposure to a bioinfectious material or agent, do not panic.
Proceed as follow:
- Notify all laboratory personnel of the spill.
- Restrict access to spill area.
- Remove all contaminated clothing and place in a
Biohazardous (autoclave) bag.
- If skin is contaminated, wash immediately with
mild soap and water.
- In case of exposure* Seek medical help
- Put on clean gloves and face mask.
- Place absorbant pads on spilled material.
- Spray pads with a disinfectant or a bleach
- Have someone else call Environmental Health and
Safety from a lab phone and report the incident.
- Follow emergency call procedure.
spread of contamination.
Do not attempt to clean
up infectious material spillS without use
of appropriate PPE .
unsure, consult with Environmental Health and Safety Office.
*All animal bites and scratches; needle sticks; eye, mouth,
and other mucous membrane, or broken skin contact with blood and/or
other infectious materials are considered EXPOSURE INCIDENTS and must
be reported immediately (see injury reporting and documentation).