Building Evacuation Procedure
UMD Building Evacuation drills are conducted
Drills’ notices may or may not be given in advance of a drill.
However, all building occupants are required to
instructions found in their Building
Evacuation and Exit Plan (BEEP). Students and visitors
(including staff from other buildings) are required to cooperate during
planned drills or emergency mandated evacuations.
During emergency evacuations, or whenever you hear the building alarm,
are informed of a general building emergency, or are ordered to
not panic proceed as
- Do not ignore the alarm.
- If time and emergency conditions
permit, secure your workplace and take your important personal items
such as car keys, purse, medication, or glasses with you.
- Dismiss class and direct students
leave immediately, to follow evacuation instructions, and to meet at
the predetermined emergency assembly point.
- Leave the building immediately,
- Walk do not run
- Keep noise to a minimum so that
can hear emergency
- Follow building evacuation and
- Do not use elevators.
- Use handrails in stairwells and
to the right.
- Follow quickest evacuation route
where you are (see posted floor evacuation routes).
- Do not go back to your office, or
classroom area for any reason.
- Proceed to the designated
assembly point for your area. If the designated assembly point/area is
unsafe or blocked due to the emergency, proceed to the alternate
- Report to your Work Area Rep at
assembly point to be checked off as having evacuated safely; also
report any knowledge you may have of missing persons.
- Return to the building only after
emergency officials (police) or building monitors give the all-clear
signal. Silencing the alarm does not mean
the emergency is over.