- Notify all laboratory personnel of the spill.
- Restrict access to the spill area.
- Instruct personnel to wait in a clean/safe area
within the lab, and not to leave until they are surveyed for
contamination, by a Environmental Health and Safety representative.
- Put on clean gloves and use GM instrument to
self-survey personal clothing and skin surfaces.
- Remove all contaminated clothing and place in a
bag or on a pad.
- If your skin is contaminated, begin washing
with mild soap and water in laboratory sink.
- Have someone else call from a lab phone and
report the incident.
- Follow emergency call
For more information on radiation
emergencies, consult the Radiation
Protection Program Page
attempt to clean up a radioactive material spill! Wait until
Environmental Health and Safety representative arrives.
It is important to prevent spread of