||In case of bio-hazardous material
spill, or Exposure to a bioinfectious material or agent, do not panic.
Proceed as follow:
- Notify all laboratory personnel
of the spill.
- Restrict access to spill area.
- Remove all contaminated clothing and place in a
Biohazardous (autoclave) bag.
- If skin is contaminated, wash immediately with
mild soap and water.
- In case of exposure*
Seek medical help immediately.
- Put on clean gloves and face mask.
- Place absorbent pads on spilled material.
- Spray pads with a disinfectant or a bleach
- Have someone else call Environmental Health and
Safety from a lab phone and report the incident.
- Follow emergency call procedure.
spread of contamination.
Do not attempt to clean up a bioinfectious material spill without use
of appropriate protective equipment and supplies.
unsure, consult with the UMD Environmental Health and Safety
bites and scratches; needle sticks; eye, mouth,
and other mucous membrane, or broken skin contact with blood and/or
other infectious materials are considered EXPOSURE INCIDENTS and must
be reported immediately (see injury reporting and documentation).
information on bilogical emergencies,
consult the Biological
Safety Program Page