The following constitutes the authority and terms under which exemptions may be granted to the provisions of the Child Labor Standards Act by the commissioner of Labor and Industry.


  • Subd. 5. The commissioner may grant exemptions from any provisions of sections 181A.01 to 181A.12 for an individual minor if the commissioner finds that such an exemption would be in the best interest of the minor involved. Such exemptions shall be granted only in accordance with the established rules of the department.
  • Subd. 6. Any minor's parent of guardian, school official, or youth employment specialist may request an exemption as provided in subdivision 5.

History: 1974 c 432 s 7; 1975 c 204 s 78; 1976 c 2 s 72; 1985 c 248 s 70; 1986 c 444


The commissioner may grant exemptions from any provisions of the act, pursuant to Laws of Minnesota 1974, chapter 432, section 7, subdivision 5, for any individual minor when it is determined that said exemption is in the best interests of a minor in accordance with both of the following:

  • the minor has a special talent, unique qualifications, or special need for the particular employment for which the exemption is sought; and
  • the health, education, or welfare of the minor will not be detrimentally affected by the employment or by the environment for which the employment is to be conducted.

Statutory Authority:MS s 181A.09


Each permit application shall specify:

  • name of minor;
  • address of minor;
  • address of parents(s) or guardian(s) if different than item B;
  • a description of the proposed employment;
  • proposed dates of employment from beginning to end;
  • particular section(s) of the act for which an exemption is sought.

Statutory Authority: MS s 181A.09


    The commissioner may revoke any permit when in his opinion the employment, of the child in such employment is detrimental to said minor's health, education, or welfare.

Statutory Authority: MS s 181A.09

No provisions of a permit issued under these sections shall excuse noncompliance with any other state or federal law or municipal ordinance establishing high standards. For more information on federal laws, contact the Federal Wage and Hour Division at (612)370-3371.