Duties of a
Departmental Research Safety Officer
duties of a laboratory safety officer are to be determined and assigned
by the department to which the employee reports. The range of duties
will vary depending upon the needs of the particular department,
including the hazardous materials used, the type of work being
performed, and the availability of a safety committee to share in the
safety officer's responsibilities. Following is a list of duties that
may be assigned to a departmental laboratory safety officer.
- Serve as liaison between employing department
and Department of Environmental Health and Safety.
University of Minnesota Generic Laboratory Safety Plan to fit
department. Submit modification for approval. Perform annual review.
- Work with department administrators and
employees to implement Laboratory Safety Plan.
- Consult with laboratory personnel regarding
safety protocols for specific procedures.
- Arrange general departmental training sessions
for laboratory employees. Keep training records.
- Carry out routine inspections of laboratories
and report results to laboratory supervisors.
- Receive reports of malfunctioning equipment.
Facilitate laboratory maintenance and repair activities.
- Assure that safety equipment is in place and is
- Know the current legal requirements regarding