Minnesota Indigenous Language Symposium VI
Weaving Indigenous Language Through Family, Education & Community
May 16th & 17th, 2011
Eni–gikendaasoyang (Center for Indigenous Knowledge and Language Revitalization), of the University of Minnesota Duluth, and the Grotto Foundation are hosting the sixth Minnesota Indigenous Language Symposium at the Black Bear Resort & Casino, May 16th & 17th, 2011.
We are honored this year to have actor, language activist and honorary board member of the Indigenous Language Institute, Mr. Wes Studi as keynote.
The symposium will focus on technology, teacher training, teaching methods, community resources, curriculum development models, adult learning, evaluation and assessment. Presentations from key language revitalization programs and initiatives will be featured during this two–day event.
The symposium is geared towards elders, educators, higher education students, and practitioners.
Registration & Location Information
Please use the registration form below and join us at the symposium!
- Black Bear Resort & Casino Directions
- Registration Information
- Make reservations now, space is limited! Also, very limited on-site registration is available, see below. Forms can be faxed to the attention of Jennifer Niemi at 218.726.7073
- Registration Form (pdf documents require Adobe Reader, free download)
- Registration, for all, after May 11th will be $200.00 (registration is non-refundable after May 12, due to guaranteed food count to conference center)
- Student Scholarships have all been filled as of 4/19/11
- MILS had 20 student scholarships available. These scholarships were awarded on a first come, first serve basis. The scholarship covers registration only, it does not cover travel expenses or hotel accommodations. You MUST provide valid school identification information and MUST be enrolled during the 2010-2011 academic year.
- Tentative Agenda(last update 5/12/11)
- Black Bear Resort & Casino, Carlton, MN
- Reference "MN Indigenous Language Symposium" when you call to make reservations
- Black Bear Casino Resort
1785 Highway 210
P.O. Box 777
Carlton, MN 55718-0777
Phone: (218) 878-BEAR
Toll Free: 1-888-771-0777 (US & Canada)
Fax: (218) 878-2317
Email: Hotel Information
- Directions to the Black Bear
- Rates starting from $49 a night (plus tax)
- Reservation Deadline
- Sunday, May 1st, 2011 (however after this date if rooms are available the Northland Inn will honor the symposium rate)
- Cindy Gustafson
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (218)726-8378
- Vendor Registration Form(pdf documents require Adobe Reader, free download)
* Please note that pictures will be taken at the symposium for use on our web site and for promotional advertising. If you do not want your picture taken please let symposium staff know and we will honor your request.