UMD Recreational Sports Outdoor Program
Go Outside and Play!
UMD students enjoy an autumn hike.
The UMD Recreational Sports Outdoor Program (RSOP) is a wonderful resource to help you stay active, enjoy nature, and make new friends. RSOP provides instruction to make your adventure educational and fun.
Visit the RSOP website at http://www.umdrsop.org for information on aquatics; climbing; kayaks and canoes; surf, stand-up paddle board, and kites; outdoor activities and workshop crafts; outdoor trips; sports and outdoor clubs; intramural sports; and fitness and wellness programs. You can also stop by the RSOP office SpHC 153 or call them at 218-726-7128.
You can rent equipment from UMD’s Equipment Rental Center located in the Sports and Health Center. They offer everything you need to camp, fish, climb, kayak, canoe, ski, skate, and snowshoe. Call them at 218-726-6134 to reserve your gear.
The following list is just a sampling of some of the RSOP activities coming up in the next few weeks. Most activities are offered at a very low cost, some are even free! To view other activities, get more information, or register for an activity, visit http://www.umdrsop.org and click on Activities Calendar.
Saturday, Sept. 18, 9 am-1 pm – Smallmouth Bass on the Fly – Learn to fly fish. Experienced fly anglers will take you to the St. Louis or Cloquet River where you will learn the techniques of casting and bait selection. $12.00 UMD students, $17.00 for others.
Sunday, Sept. 19, 11 am-6 pm – Climb the Shovel Point Sea Cliffs
– Climb stunning cliffs that rise out of Lake Superior. Don’t forget to bring your camera! Beginners are welcome. $20.00 UMD students, $55.00 for others.
Monday, Sept. 20, 2-7pm – Whitewater Canoeing
– If you have some canoeing skills (or take the “Whitewater Canoeing Skills Development Clinic” in the pool on Sept. 13), then this is the adventure for you. Discover the joy of canoe paddling in whitewater on the St. Louis River. $12.00 UMD students only.
Tuesday, Sept. 21, 7-9 pm – Master the Art of Waterfowl Calling
– This introduction to waterfowl calling will give hunters advice on which calls to buy, proper calling techniques to use in the field, and setting up decoys. $2.00 for UMD students, $5.00 for others.
Sunday, Sept. 26, 12-6 pm – Climbing Outside at Ely’s Peak
– Just 20 minutes from campus, Ely’s Peak is known for its fabulous climbing and spectacular fall colors. No experience is needed. $15.00 UMD students, $45.00 for others.
Tuesday, Oct. 5, 5-7:30 pm – Apple Cidering
– Learn about apples while making apple cider using a hand-crank cider press. Bring a mug to sample your results. $2.00 for UMD students, $5.00 for others.
Thursday, Oct. 7, 5-7 pm – Outdoor Photography Basics
– Learn the basics of taking pictures outdoors. Instruction includes lighting and framing a shot. Then hike Bagley Nature Area and take your best photos ever. $2.00 UMD students, $5.00 for others.
Saturday, Oct. 9, 3-6 pm – Scuba Night at UMD
– Try out the latest in scuba gear. PADI Certified Dive Masters will be in the water to assist you. No experience is necessary. Free.
Tuesday, Oct. 12, 3-7pm – Buckthorn Pull
– Buckthorn is an invasive plant that chokes out native species. Come pull some buckhorn at the Bagley Nature Area, and enjoy pizza as a reward for your hard work. Free.
Saturday, Oct. 16, 12-5pm – Fall Color Hike and Rappel
– Enjoy the scenic vistas of the St. Louis River Valley. Hike to the summit of Ely’s Peak, then rappel down the steep cliff face to the base. All rappel equipment is provided. $5.00 UMD students, $15.00 for others.
Written by Kathleen McQuillan-Hofmann, email@example.com
UMD home page editor, Cheryl Reitan, firstname.lastname@example.org
UMD media contact,
Susan Latto, email@example.com,