The UMD Research and Field Studies Center is a 114 acre site located along Amity Creek approximately 4 miles from campus on Jean Duluth Road. The Research and Field Studies Center is considered an educational and research-centered resource that also provides space to support other UMD Campus activities.
The five primary objectives of the UMD Research and Field Studies Center are:
- Conduct research on natural ecosystems, plant and animal populations, and individual species in a changing landscape.
- Provide field-based educational activities in the form of academic classes, informal workshops and training programs.
- Develop, manage, and maintain an experiential venue to educate students, the University community, and the region on sustainable agriculture.
- Communicate to the public and engage the campus community in scientific study through involvement with researcher shared expertise and results.
- Facilitate interaction between a variety of disciplines related to the environmental management, education, and sustainable agriculture at UMD.