The following are the critical components to UMD’s ES Program. They include interdisciplinary course work, a wide variety of faculty research/community project opportunities and independent community service learning work with the ES Programs many community partners.
1. ES/URS/GEOG Courses aimed at problems and solutions
2. GIS courses aimed at tools for analyzing social/environmental problems
3. Courses outside of ES, GEOG and URS (Biol, Chem, Econ and Policy)
4. CSCD/GISL and other faculty Research (energy systems, food systems, transportation, lighting, finance, urban design etc….)
5. Community Partner Projects
6. SDROP - Sustainable Development Research Opportunity Program
7. Program advisory board (consisting of active faculty and community partners/practitioners)