How can Alumni support the department?
You Make Us GreatUMD geography has a strong reputation as one of the best undergraduate geography programs in the Midwest. Your tax-deductible gift provides our students with encouragement and financial support. It gives our faculty the resources to increase our knowledge of geography. It helps to maintain a distinguished reputation for the department.
What Your Gift Can DoYour generous support for the Department of Geography is more critical than ever. It helps us to recognize the very best students in our programs by providing scholarships. It also provides critical funding to our programs at a time of decreasing funding from the state. Your support enables us to attract the very best students at UMD.
Choose a FundTo continue to recognize our very best students, and to support our academic programs, we need your support. We have several funds that may interest you:
* The Carlson/Amys Family Scholarship was established in 2007. It is a scholarship that encourages incoming freshman with aspirations in geography, Environment & Sustainability, urban and regional studies, or in business, to attend UMD. This scholarship rotates every other year between the College of Liberal Arts and the Labovitz School of Business and Economics. In 2008-2009, this one-year scholarship will be awarded to an incoming geography, Environment & Sustainability or urban and regional studies major. We are grateful to Jeff and Roberta Carlson (Jeff is geography alum, 2007!!) and the Amys families for their incredible generosity and support of the Geography Department.
* The Matti Kaups Scholarship is an academic scholarship given annually to the geography major, who is entering his/her senior year, and who has the strongest academic record in Geography.
* The Emma Goldman Scholarship is given annually to the female student whose achievements embody the feminist ethics, values and accomplishments of Emma Goldman.
* The Geography General Fund supports the special needs of the department that directly supports student learning and achievement. The department is working to develop this fund for class field trip expenses.
* GIS Student Support Fund (Fund 8848) - The Geospatial Analysis Center provides GIS services and research to UMD departments, UMD administration, and external organizations. These projects are obtained through competitive and non-competitive means and are funded through sponsored projects, external sales, and the GIS Student Support Fund, a University Foundation fund. The GIS Student Support Fund can be used at the Director of the Geospatial Analysis Center’s discretion to support student hourly time on GIS projects requested by not-for-profit regional organizations and other intra-campus projects otherwise unfunded. Preference will be given to projects that benefit the student experience and sustainability in the community. [Make sure link is in CLA list of funds]
Examples of recent projects:
Working with Great Lakes Second Harvest Food Bank to geocode community resources and service areas for assessment and planning in that agency.
Working with members of the Duluth Community Farm to make a map of 2011 Urban Farm Tour Sites for a hand-out.
GPSing apple trees in the historic UMD Heritage Orchard, identifying, and making a walking tour for the Sustainable Agriculture Cidering Pressing Event
To explore options for giving to Geography at UMD, please contact Tongxin Zhu at email@example.com or (218) 726-8480, or contact our Development Officer Jennifer Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (218) 726-6708, or go http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/alumni/clagiving2.html
For a full list of funds, click http://www.d.umn.edu/development/CLAGivingAreas.html