University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News


For students who were previously enrolled in a
U of M graduate program

Note – if you are currently registered Grad 999 or if you registered this semester but canceled your courses, you are still considered a current student.

Express Readmit

If you will be returning to the same major program to pursue the same degree, you may be able to return via the Express Readmit process. 

  • This process requires program approval; the Director of Graduate Studies will need to sign the Express Readmit Application.  You will need to know your graduate program code in order to complete the application.
  • Submit the signed application and a $75 check or money order to 309 Johnston Hall.  The fee may be waived if you were registered for the previous term, but neglected to register this term, and you are returning to the same program and degree.  The application may be emailed to, but it will not be processed until required fees have been received.
  •  If you are unable to obtain program approval for an express readmit, you will need to apply online.   

Complete the online application if you:

  • want to return to a different program or degree
    (you may or may not have completed your previous degree)
  • are not able to obtain express readmission. 

In all cases, contact the major program to which you are applying for information about program content, deadlines, and whether additional materials (such as GRE scores or letters of recommendation) are needed. 

 If you have questions about which of these categories applies to your situation, please contact the UMD Graduate Office at 218-726-7523, or The other option is to contact Graduate Admissions at 612-625-3014, or




© University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations