English Proficiency Requirements
You are here
TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS
English Language Proficiency Assessment Tests Operational Standards for Admission
- EXCEPTIONS: Applicants who have completed 24 quarter credits or 16 semester credits (within the past 24 months) in residence as a full-time student at a recognized institution of higher learning in the United States (or other English-speaking country) before entering the University of Minnesota may be exempted from this requirement. However, your graduate program of interest may not allow this exception so you must follow the application requirements of that graduate program.
The operational standards for admission to the University of Minnesota are listed below.
- Please note that individual programs may have higher TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS requirements, so you should check with your program of interest for any specific scores that might be listed.
- University policy sets additional minimum standards for English speaking proficiency for teaching assistants. If you are offered a teaching assistantship and your TOEFL speaking sub-score (or equivalent) is below 27, you may be required to take additional English language training. Contact the Graduate School Office at email@example.com with any questions about this policy.
- Official scores will be required prior to enrollment or before we issue visa documents.
- All English language test scores are valid for two years from the date the test was taken.
| Operational Standard
(Programs may have different requirements)
Internet based test:
Paper based test:
|6.5 overall with 6.5 section scores for both writing and reading|
TOEFL Score Submission Procedure
TOEFL scores must be received directly from ETS. The Duluth campus institutional code is 6873.
- Please note that test scores may not be available for 4-6 weeks after you take the test, and plan accordingly.
- If you have already submitted an application and want to find out if we have received your official TOEFL scores, check your test scores in your application.
IELTS / MELAB Score Submission Procedure
IELTS and MELAB scores must be received directly from the testing center. Please contact the test center where you took your test and request that your official test scores be sent to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Minnesota
309 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455
- We do not accept unofficial Test Report Forms from students.
- No institutional code is required.