Housing facilities close at 8 PM on Friday December 19th, 2014 for Fall Semester. Housing facilities reopen at 9 AM on Sunday, January 18, 2015 for Spring Semester.

Contracts for newly admitted students for Fall 2015 will be available on February 1st, 2015.



Policies & Procedures

The University of Minnesota Duluth, as well as the Office of Residence Life, have established policies and procedures to enhance the academic and social environment of our facilities and to insure the safety of residents. Violations of the following policies may lead to disciplinary action by the Office of Residence Life and/or the University. Where such action is necessary, residents may also face civil or criminal prosecution. Resident Advisors and Student Security Personnel serve as authorized University officials.

Each resident is given a copy of the Guidebook at the time of check in (either the Apartment Guidebook or the Residence Hall Guidebook) that goes into further detail regarding the specific policies of their living area.

Alcoholic Beverages and containers

The possession, consumption, and/or association with possession of alcoholic beverages and/or possession of alcohol containers (e.g. boxes, cases, bottles, cans) regardless of the student's age, is prohibited in University housing facilities and on University grounds.

Students with substance abuse problems usually come to the attention of Housing & Residence Life staff through policy violations or by exhibiting behavior which is not socially acceptable. Students may expect that in addition to any disciplinary sanctions, staff will address use/abuse behaviors and may suggest and/or mandate counseling and a chemical dependency assessment.

If the policy is violated, all people present in the living unit will be considered to be in violation of the policy regardless of whether or not they have personally consumed and/or possessed alcohol and/or controlled substances.

[ Back to Top ]

Controlled Substances (Drugs)

The possession of, association with, use or sale of controlled substances (illegal drugs, including the physical presence or odor of marijuana) is not permitted in University housing facilities and on University grounds. Drug-related paraphernalia (bongs, pipes, etc.) are not permitted in University housing facilities and on University grounds.


Dishwashers, tanning beds, ceiling fans, space heaters, air conditioners, washers, and dryers are not allowed.

Residence Halls: Residence hall rooms are not designed to accommodate meal preparation. The only cooking appliances allowed in rooms are coffee pots and microwave ovens; for fire safety and sanitation, hot plates, toasters, toaster ovens, electric grills, or other appliances designed to cook food are not allowed. Compact refrigerators are provided in all rooms; non-University owned refrigerators are not allowed.

Apartments: Apartments are designed for full meal preparation. Full size microwave ovens, additional UL approved refrigerators, and small freezers are allowed in the apartments.

Decorating & Student Construction

While students are encouraged to add their own personal touches to their rooms, practices that might create fire, health hazards, and/or damage to facilities are not permitted. Specifically:

  • Light fixtures may not be tampered with or covered.
  • Items may not be hung from drapery rods.
  • Items may not be hung from the fire sprinkler system (pipes, sprinkler heads).
  • Artificial trees, wreaths, and garland are allowed. Cut trees and pine boughs are not allowed.
  • Miniature "cool" lights are allowed while traditional "hot" lights are not. Damage caused by lights (e.g., "smudging") will be billed to the student. Maintain a safe distance between lights and flammable materials.
  • Decorations and ornamentation must be of a non-flammable material.
  • Flock, spray, and paint-on decorations are not permitted, as they damage windows, walls, and door finishes.

Door decorations (including wrapping paper) may cover no more than one third of the door surface.

Students will be held financially responsible for damages.

In the residence halls, do not use duct tape. Students may use small amounts of poster tape (e.g., masking tape, poster tack material, etc.) to attach items to walls, ceilings, and other surfaces in their rooms. Nails and/or screws are not to be used to attach items.

In the apartments, students may not use any adhesive material to hang posters or any other items to walls. A limited number of small finishing nails, hanging pins, or staples may be used to attach items to walls. Students may not attach items to doors or wood furnishings. Students will be billed for damage caused by the use of adhesive materials or overuse of nails, staples, etc. Do not try to repair holes caused by nails, staples, etc. Self-adhering corkboards may not be used on any surface because of the damage that they cause.

Message boards are permitted on doors provided that they do not cause damage. Do not use nails or screws on the doors; holes are not allowed in the door surface. Students are responsible for any damage (e.g., holes, scratches, discoloration of finish) to their door(s). Common causes of door damage are dartboards (prohibited in living units), mirrors, utility hooks, etc. Generally when damages occur, the entire door is replaced at the expense of the student(s). Door prices range from $125.00 to $600.00 depending upon the location.
Student Construction

In general, student construction is discouraged. University furnishings may not be used to support student construction. If any person is injured by a hazard constructed by the student and the injured person claims the University is responsible for payment of medical bills or damages, the student will be financially responsible to the University.

Only students living in Stadium Apartments are permitted to build lofts. University furnishings may not be used to raise beds off the floor.
Painting Rooms

Students are not allowed to paint the walls, ceilings, floors, and/or furnishings of their living unit. If the pre-existing condition of a residence warrants painting, a repair request can be submitted to Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, click here for repair request). Painting must be completed by University personnel.


Students are responsible for the condition of their living unit and for all University furniture within their living unit. University furniture placed in residence hall rooms and apartments may not be moved from its assigned area.

University furnishings may not be removed from lounges and public areas.

Permanently affixed/fastened room fixtures such as bookshelves, closets, desks, etc. cannot be tampered with or removed. If students modify their furnishings (e.g., partitions, bookshelves, other structures), they do so at their own risk. Students will be financially responsible if a person is injured by any structure or article constructed or brought into the living unit.


Waterbeds are not permitted in University housing facilities.

Safety rails for bunk beds are available from Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, click here for repair request).


In the residence halls, students may bring carpeting for their rooms. Rubber-backed carpeting is not allowed due to fire safety. The carpeting may not be attached to the floor with tape, glue, screws, etc.

In the apartments, students are responsible for any damage (e.g., burns, stains, rips, etc.) to the carpets. If the carpet is damaged, the surface area to be re-carpeted is generally larger than the damaged area; replacement of the carpet for the entire room might be necessary. In areas with "drop in" carpet, the entire piece will be replaced. If a substance is spilled on the carpet, clean the area immediately to prevent stains from setting. Contact Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, 218-726-8400) for advice and/or cleaning products to remove the stain.


For living units with hot water radiators, do not turn off radiator valves and/or leave windows open during cold weather; pipes may freeze and break resulting in damage to property. Keep furniture and all other materials at least one foot away from room heaters.

For heating concerns, contact Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, click here for repair request).


The security of your living unit, your personal property, and the property of your roommate(s) is dependent on responsible care of your keys and conscientiously locking your door each time you leave the room. If you lose a key, inform your roommate(s) and RA in case someone should find the key and attempt to enter your living unit.

Keys are the property of the University of Minnesota Duluth and may not be duplicated. A student is not allowed to loan, sell, or transfer a University key to another person to access Housing & Residence Life facilities. Students are encouraged to immediately report lost keys to the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (Lake Superior Hall 189). The lock core(s) and keys will be changed for living units to which keys have been lost. The student will be charged as follows:

Living unit lock core $ 50.00
Outside door key $ 7.50

If the student recovers the lost key(s), a refund of $3.50 will be issued for the outside door key. Recovered keys for living units are non-refundable.

Students are encouraged to carry their keys. An excessive number of lockouts may result in disciplinary action.

Mattress Pad

A mattress pad is provided to each student to protect the mattresses. Students will be charged for replacement of damaged mattresses.

Ovens & Burners (apartments)

Students are encouraged to place foil on the floor of ovens and under burners to minimize the amount of clean up required. Foil drip pans for ovens and burners are available at the area offices. Ovens and burners must to be cleaned periodically to prevent grease fires.


In the residence halls, do not use sharp objects to chip ice when defrosting the refrigerator. If the freezer compartment is punctured, students will be held responsible for damages/replacements.

Proper Defrosting:

  1. Remove all items from the refrigerator and freezer.
  2. Turn the temperature control to "off". Do not use any item to scrape or chip frost since this can damage the freezer liner and tubing. Students are responsible for damage and replacement cost.
  3. Allow the frost to thaw. Thawing can be aided by placing a pan of hot water in the freezer.
  4. Wipe the inside of the refrigerator and freezer with a damp cloth.
  5. Empty the drain pan located beneath the refrigerator.
  6. Place the clean ice tray (empty) in the freezer.
  7. Turn the temperature control "on" and close the refrigerator and freezer doors.

In the apartments, refrigerators are frost-free. To clean the refrigerator:

  1. Remove all items from the refrigerator/freezer.
  2. Turn the temperature control to "off".
  3. Wipe the inside of the refrigerator/freezer with a damp cloth.
  4. Empty the drain pan located beneath the refrigerator.
  5. Turn the temperature control "on" and close the refrigerator and freezer doors.

Sinks & Bathtubs (apartments)

Students should use non-abrasive cleaning agents on sinks, bathtubs, and other fixtures. Permanent damage may result from use of abrasive cleaners.


[ Back to Top ]


Students are required to provide current identification to authorized University officials (including Resident Advisors, Night Advisors, Apartment Security members, and Community Advisors) upon request. Failure to comply and/or providing false identification will result in referral for disciplinary action.

[ Back to Top ]


Only fish in aquariums are allowed.

[ Back to Top ]


Individual Housing & Residence Life living units are intended for occupancy by students of the same gender. In the event that a vacancy occurs in a living unit, a member of another gender may not occupy it.

[ Back to Top ]


Students and their guests must abide by the policies of the University and Housing & Residence Life. The hosting student is responsible for providing guests with policy information and is responsible for their actions. If residents of a room/apartment are hosting guests and policy violations occur, additional sanctions may be incurred for creating an environment out of compliance with University/Housing & Residenc Life standards.

Students and their guests must be sensitive to the needs and wishes of other members of their living unit and the community; students sharing a living unit are expected to discuss preferences and arrangements for inviting guests, including the possible disruption and discomfort that might arise.

When students sharing a living area are in agreement to having guests, a guest may stay up to three nights in a row. A guest who stays longer than 72 hours (or is present with unreasonable frequency) will be considered an illegal occupant, and the students responsible for the living area will face disciplinary action.

In particular, overnight guests have been a point of irritation among students sharing a living unit. In cases where common ground is not established, the desire of a student not to have overnight guests in the living area will take precedence over the privilege of a student to host guests overnight.

Community members and staff members should address problems or concerns created by the presence and/or behavior of guests in the area; resolution may include immediate removal of a guest from the area by Housing & Residence Life staff or University Police along with limiting or revoking future guest privileges and/or disciplinary sanctions.

Escort Policy

From 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m., guests must be escorted by a student assigned to the immediate living area. Any visitor exhibiting inappropriate behavior will be asked to leave the University's housing facilities.

Guest Parking

Guest must park in meter spots or on city streets where permitted. Meters are enforced Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. For more information, go to .

Room Capacity (residence halls)

The maximum number of people allowed in a residence hall room is six people (residents plus guests). The residents of a room are the hosts of all guests and must be present during their visitation while in the residence halls. Hosts are responsibile for their guests' actions and behavior. Host are also responsible for any damages or special costs that may result from the behavior of their guest(s).

Private Event Registration (apartments)

A private event/party is a group of nine people per apartment. The maximum number of people allowed at a private event twenty-five.

Private events must be registered with the duty RA at least 24 hours in advance. Private events are not allowed until after the first day of classes each semester. Private events are not allowed during finals week of each semester or during breaks and recesses. Printed advertising of private events is prohibited. The residents of the apartment are the hosts of the private event. The hosts must be present throughout the duration of the event.

[ Back to Top ]

Sexual Harassment

The University defines sexual harassment as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and/or other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature. An act constitutes sexual harassment when:

  • Submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of an individual's employment or academic advancement in any University activity or program
  • Submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as a basis for employment or academic decisions affecting such individuals,
  • Such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual's work or academic performance or creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive work or academic environment.
  • Sexual harassment can occur in situations where one person has power over another, but can also occur between equals. Both men and women might experience sexual harassment. Sexual harassment can be as blatant as rape or a subtle as a look. Harassment under the third part of the definition often consists of callous insensitivity to the experience of women.

If you feel you have been sexually harassed, contact your RA, the Womens' Resource & Action Center [](Kirby Student Center 266, 218-726-6292) or the Office of Equal Opportunity [] (255 Darland Administration Building at 218-726-6827 or 218-726-6849.

[ Back to Top ]

Staff Harassment

The harassment of University staff is not tolerated. Any such behavior is disruptive to the residence community and will be treated as disorderly conduct. Students can expect strong consequences, including immediate termination of their housing contract.

[ Back to Top ]

Telephone/electronic Harassment

Use of the telephones, computers, and/or other forms of electronic communication to threaten, harass, intimidate, or coerce another person is a violation of federal and state law and UMD policy; it will not be tolerated. Students are responsible for the use of and all calls made from the telephone in their living unit as well as all communication from their personal e-mail accounts. Therefore students are strongly encouraged to lock their doors when not in their living unit and not share their computer passwords with others. Individuals identified as being involved, directly or indirectly, with misuse of the telephone system will be referred for disciplinary action. The UMD Police Department can request the source of a telephone call be tracked, but UMD does not monitor actual telephone conversations. Individuals identified as taking part in harassing phone calls can be ticketed by the UMD Police Department and referred to Student Conduct Code, where they are subject to fines and/or University issued sanctions.

[ Back to Top ]

Reporting Telephone/E-mail Harassment

If you receive harassing telephone calls or electronic messages, contact University Police (218-726-7000 or 911). For telephone calls, record the date and time you received the call. If harassing messages are left on your campus voice mail, do not delete the messages until directed to do so by University Police. For communications threatening your life, safety, or property, call 9-911. In addition, individuals who have experienced sexual or racial harassment should also contact the Office of Equal Opportunity (255 Darland Administration Building, 218-726-6827 or 218-726-6849).

University Police are authorized to request source tracking of communications (UMD does not monitor actual telephone conversations). Individuals identified as being involved, directly or indirectly, with misuse of the telephone/electronic communication systems can be ticketed by University Police and may be referred to tUMD's Student Conduct System and the Housing & Residence Life conduct System for hearings and sanctions.

[ Back to Top ]

Missing person policy

The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for the University of Minnesota Duluth's response to reports of missing student residents who reside in University owned housing facilities, as required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.

For purposes of this policy, a studnet resident may be considered a "missing person" if the resident's absence is suspiciously different to his/her usual pattern of behavior and/or unusual circumstances may have caused the absence.

I. Student designation of missing person contact information

a. Student age 18 and above and emancipated minors: Student residents will be given the opportunity to designate on the key card an individual or individuals to be contacted by the University no more than 24 hours after the time that the student resident is determined to be missing. A designation will remain in effect until changed or revoked by the student resident via email to housing or that student is no longer a resident of University housing.

b. Student under the age of 18 and not emancipated: In the event a student resident who is not emancipated is determined to be missing, the University is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian no more than 24 hours after the student resident is determined to be missing.

II. Official notification procedures for missing persons

a. Any individual on campus who has information that a University student resident may be a missing person must notify the University Police Department as soon as possible.

b. If a report of a potential missing person is made to Housing & Residence Life, H&RL staff will immediately contact and work with the University Police Department. Cooperative efforts may include:

1. Conduct a health and wellness check on the resident,

2. Attempt to make contact via cellular phone, e-mail, or other means,

3. Identify other students who may be aware of the missing person's whereabouts (i.e. roommate, friends, classmates, etc.).

c. The University Police Department will gather all essential information about the University student resident from the reporting person and other individuals who may provide information that will assist with the investigation.

d. No later than 24 hours after determining that a University student resident is missing, the Director of University Police or designee will notify the "missing person" contact (for students 18 and above and emancipated minors) or the parent/guardian (for students under the age of 18 and not emancipated) that the student resident is believed to be missing.

III. Campus communications in the event of a missing student resident

In cases involving missing student residents, all inquiries by media or the public regarding missing student residents shall be referred to University Relations. All public statements will be coordinated through University Relations.

Information shared with University housing residents.

In accordance with the Higher Education Act of 2008, all student residents may register a "missing person" contact with Housing & Residence Life. The "missing person" contact does not have to be a parent of the student 18 years of age and above and emancipated minors. This is the individual who will be contacted by the University Police in the event a student resident is determined to be missing.

In the event a student is under 18 years of age and has not been legally emancipated, the missing student resident's parent/guardian will be contacted.

A student resident can be reported missing at any time. The University Police Department will conduct a thorough investigation into all reports of potential missing student residents.


[ Back to Top ]

Courtesy Hours, Quiet Hours, & Sound Equipment


The realities of community living dictate that individuals respect community needs for the moderation of noise. Students are expected to exercise good judgment and consideration in maintaining a living environment conducive to the achievement of the educational mission of the University. This includes accepting responsibility for one's behavior and respecting other students.

Courtesy hours are in effect at all times. Students have the right to study and sleep in their living unit at any time without unreasonable interruption. Students are to conduct themselves with consideration for other students in their community. Courtesy hours extend beyond the buildings to University grounds; people are to be considerate of others whether inside or outside of University housing facilities.

Students are expected to confront noise problems that affect them. If assistance is needed, a student may contact an RA, Night Advisor, or Apartment Security member. Students must comply with all policies and regulations regarding sound equipment and recreational activities within the University housing facilities.


[ Back to Top ]

Sound Equipment

Stereos, radios, and televisions should be played at volumes that cannot be heard outside the resident's living unit. Stereo speakers are not allowed in windows. Electronically amplified instruments are allowed in living units if used in a manner that does not disturb community members; the use of headphones is required in the residence halls and encouraged in the apartments. If excessive noise results from abuse of volume levels, the resident may be required to remove the equipment from the living unit.

[ Back to Top ]

Quiet Hours

In the residence halls, quiet hours are in effect throughout the year as follows:

Weekdays 10:00 p.m. - 8:00 a.m.

Weekends 12:00 midnight - 10:00 a.m.

Students must keep the noise level very low, refrain from any loud activity, and refrain from playing sound equipment (e.g. stereos, radios, TVs, etc.) at a level that can be heard outside their living unit. During finals week and the preceding weekend, all University housing facilities observe quiet hours around the clock.

[ Back to Top ]

Recreational Activities

To protect residents and Housing & Residence Life facilities, floor hockey, baseball, softball, tennis, soccer, skateboarding, bike riding, in-line skating, basketball, water fights, throwing frisbees, dartboards, and other acts that may be disruptive or destructive are prohibited in University housing facilities. Snowball fights, snowboarding and skate boarding are not permitted in University housing facilities and on University grounds. For paintball equipment, BB guns, and pellet guns, see "Explosives & Weapons".

Most University housing facilities have recreational equipment available at the area offices for check-out. Please refer to the Services Section. Housing & Residence Life sponsors Open Recreation on Fridays and Saturdays from 9:00 p.m. to midnight in the Sports & Health Center.

[ Back to Top ]


Gambling is not permitted in University Housing facilities.

[ Back to Top ]

Damages & vandalism

Students are held responsible for damages caused by themselves or their guests in their living units and public areas. Costs are billed to the student(s) and will appear on their student account. For example, the damage from a dartboard or the cost to replace a window might exceed $200.00.

If vandalism occurs in University housing facilities, student must submit reports to University Police (Darland 287, 218-726-7000 or 9-911) and Housing & Residence Life staff immediately and cooperate in the investigation. University Police and Housing & Residence Life will determine responsibility; persons identified as responsible for vandalism are subject to consequences through Housing & Residence Life, the University, and/or city/state/federal court.

[ Back to Top ]

Explosives and Weapons

Firearms, bows and arrows, other weapons, darts and dart boards, sling shots, water balloon launchers, ammunition, paintball guns, airsoft guns, fireworks, firecrackers or any other material that can create a health hazard or inflict bodily injury are strictly prohibited in University housing facilities and on University grounds.

[ Back to Top ]

Smoking Policy

The University of Minnesota Duluth is a smoke free campus. Smoking is not permitted in University buildings (including housing facilities) and on University grounds.

[ Back to Top ]

Fire Safety

Violations of fire safety rules put people's lives in jeopardy.

Fire Hazards

Due to their propensity to start and/or accelerate fire, the use/possession of the items that follow is either not permitted or restricted in University housing facilities.

Barbeque Grills: Barbeque grills may not be used within 20 feet of a University housing facility. Charcoal, starter fluid, and compressed gas tanks may not be stored in University housing facilities.

Beds, Mattresses, and Linens: Beds, mattresses, and linens must be kept at least one foot away from all heat sources to avoid damage or fire.

Candles/Incense: Candles, incense, other items that may produce open flames (lit or unlit), and candle warmers are prohibited in University housing facilities.

Clothing irons: Unplug your clothing iron when it is not in use.

Cooking: Attend food while it is cooking.

Electric Heating furnished by the University: While some apartments are heated by hot water radiators, many have electric heating units mounted at baseboard level. Keep all items at least 1 foot from the heaters.

Extension Cords: Use only power strips (UL-approved extension cords with built-in circuit breakers).

Fabric: Fabric (flags, sheets, blankets, plastic banners, etc.) may not be hung in front of doors, on walls, or draped from the ceiling. Other decorations should cover no more than one third of a wall's surface.

Halogen Lamps: Lamps with halogen bulbs are not allowed.

Hookahs: Hookahs are not allowed.

In the residence halls, hot plates, toasters, toaster ovens, and any appliance with an open element are not allowed.

Egress: A path of egress (exit) must be maintained between the room door and the window. Students may not block egress with furniture, or other items.

Lamps with halogen bulbs and/or torchiere lamps are not allowed.

[ Back to Top ]

Fire Alarms

If a fire alarm sounds, students (except those who are mobility-impaired) must leave the building via the nearest exit. Call 911. Students with mobility impairments are to remain in their room and wait for evacuation by the Duluth Fire Department. Students who do not comply with evacuation are subject to disciplinary sanctions. Fire drills are conducted at the beginning of each school year.

Fire Safety Equipment

Tampering with fire prevention/response equipment (a Federal offense) may create a serious safety hazard. People who tamper with the equipment will be referred for University disciplinary action and/or civil prosecution. Violation of this policy may result in termination of the student's Housing & Residence Life contract.

Smoke detectors are installed for the protection and safety of students living in University housing facilities. Housing & Residence Life staff test smoke detectors on a regular basis to ensure they are operational. Students who believe their smoke detector is not working properly or may be too sensitive should report the problem immediately to Building Maintenance (Lake Superior Hall 103, 218-726-8400).

Tampering with smoke detectors is prohibited. Students of a living unit in which a smoke detector is disconnected, turned off, or tampered with will be referred for disciplinary action and charged for repair/replacement of the device. According to State Fire Code, "An occupant who willfully disables a smoke detector or causes it to be malfunctioning, resulting in damage or injury to persons or property, is guilty of a misdemeanor."

Do not prop fire doors. Fire code requires that fire doors (stairwell doors, building entrance/exit doors) be closed at all times. Fire doors with electromagnetic holders (part of the fire alarm system) will release and close automatically when an alarm sounds.

Each hallway is equipped with a fire extinguisher for the safety and protection of students. If an extinguisher is used to put out a fire, the students must report the incident to their RAs. Housing & Residence Life conducts inspections of fire extinguishers periodically.

All residence halls and apartments have fire sprinklers for additional fire safety. Students are NOT PERMITTED to hang anything from or tamper with the sprinkler system; doing so may impede their function and/or cause the system to activate. Students will be billed for the full costs of any damage resulting from misuse of the sprinkler system.

Fire Emergency Instructions

In a fire emergency:

  • Pull the fire alarm.
  • Call 911.
  • Call the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk at 218-726-7381.
  • Remain calm and act quickly.
  • Wear protective clothing such as a coat and shoes, and carry a damp towel for use in heavy smoke.
  • Close your room door and windows.
  • Walk in an orderly manner to the nearest exit. Never use an elevator.
  • Move a safe distance away from the building and out of the way of fire department personnel.
  • Remain outside until you are told to return by the staff.
If you think there is a fire in the hallway, feel the door before you open it:
  • If the door does not feel hot, open it slightly, holding your head away and brace the door with your foot.
  • Put your hand across the opening to test the heat of the air.
  • If the door is hot and the hallway unsafe, plug any opening or cracks through which smoke may enter your room using wet towels, sheets, blankets, etc.
  • If smoke does enter the room, open the window for ventilation; break it if sealed.
  • Make your presence known.
  • Wait for rescue.
In case of minor fire:
  • Pull the fire alarm.
  • Call 911.
  • Use a fire extinguisher located in the hallway cabinets or a blanket to smother the fire.
  • Call the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk at 218-726-7381.
  • Never risk your personal safety!

[ Back to Top ]

[ Back to Top ]

Severe Weather

In case of a severe weather warning:

  1. Go to an inner hallway on a lower floor or to your bathroom. In the residence halls, people may also go to the basement of the building and windowless portions of the pedestrian tunnel system.
  2. Stay away from building entrances and windows.
  3. If possible, bring a battery-operated radio with you to listen for further reports. Tune to AM610 for continuous weather updates.

To find out about University closings due to snow, call 218-726-SNOW. You may also sign up for text messages on University emergencies.

Students are encouraged to have flashlights available in the event of a power outage.

[ Back to Top ]

Suicidal Gestures, Ideation, and Attempts

All suicidal gestures, ideation, and attempts are considered to be serious events that may require intervention. Medical and/or psychological evaluation and treatment that includes involvement of the University counselors is required to ensure that students will receive necessary help. Housing & Residence Life staff are supportive of those who seek help and firm with those who refuse help. The response to those who exhibit suicidal behavior or attempt suicide may include:

  1. Outside medical evaluation or hospitalization;
  2. Clearance before a student can return to the University housing facilities following hospitalization;
  3. Termination of the UMD housing contract if the student is unwilling to take a measure of responsibility for addressing underlying problems, and/or;
  4. Reassignment to a temporary space pending decision regarding the housing contract.


Residence Entry Guidelines

The University respects the student's right to freedom from illegal or unreasonable searches and invasions of privacy. Housing & Residence Life reserves the right to enter living units under the following conditions:

  1. By authorized University personnel with 24 hours advance notice to ensure that health, fire and safety regulations are maintained;
  2. By authorized University personnel with 24 hours advance notice to make improvements and repairs and to provide routine maintenance services;
  3. By authorized University personnel without notice if you request repair or maintenance work to be done in your living unit, whether or not you are home;
  4. By authorized personnel without notice, in emergency situations to protect the health and welfare of the student or to make emergency repairs to prevent damages to the property of the student and the University;
  5. By authorized University personnel without notice when there is clear and present indication that a violation of University or civil regulations is being committed;
  6. By law enforcement officers in the performance of statutory duties and in accordance with legally defined procedures governing search and seizure;
  7. By authorized University personnel without notice for check-in/check-out, for safety checks at semester/holiday breaks, and work orders submitted prior to occupancy. Policy violations (alcohol, alcohol containers, candles, etc.) in plain view will be documented, and the residents will be referred through the disciplinary process.
  8. By authorized University personnel when a major remodeling project is taking place (e.g., window replacement). The residents involved are notified of such projects.

Back to Top ]


Door-to-door solicitation is prohibited in University housing facilities except by candidates campaigning for public office who have filed for election. Candidates wishing to campaign or distribute campaign materials in University housing facilities must acquire approval at least one business day in advance from the Assistant Director of Housing & Residence Life for the living area. Campaign literature may not be placed in mailboxes or under room doors.

Individuals or organizations that wish to distribute non-commercial literature or communicate their beliefs to students will be allowed to set up tables in designated public areas of residential facilities once per academic semester. To avoid scheduling conflicts, any group or person seeking access to University housing facilities for this purpose must submit a written request to the Assistant Director of Housing & Residence Life for the living area and receive approval at least three business days in advance. Soliciting funds or selling products or services is prohibited except by organizations directly affiliated with the University that have obtained approval from Housing & Residence Life (Lake Superior Hall 149, 218-726-8178).

Students are not permitted to conduct or solicit business activities from their living units. Flyers may not be placed under room doors.


[ Back to Top ]


Posters, flyers, and banners must be approved at the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (Lake Superior Hall 189) before being posted in University housing facilities. The distribution of materials by other means is prohibited. General guidelines for postings are:

  • All posters, flyers, and banners to be posted in the University's residential facilities must be approved at the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (Lake Superior Hall 189).
  • Any group asking to display posters, flyers, and/or banners must be a UMD organization/department and must have their name printed clearly on each poster.
  • The maximum length of time a poster/flyer/banner may be posted is 30 days. These may be approved for an additional 30 days if they are removed and re-approved.
  • Posters and flyers are permitted only on approved boards in residential public areas. Posters not on approved boards will be removed.
  • Posters/flyers/banners may not contain pictures of alcohol and/or make reference to alcohol use contrary to University standards.
  • Sliding pamphlets, leaflets, and/or flyers under doors and/or in mailboxes is not permitted.
  • Large posters and banners may be hung only in the lobby of Griggs/Lake Superior Lobby. They may be no larger than 8.0 feet by 2.5 feet.

Approved posters and fliers may be posted in designated areas only. For more information, contact the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk (Lake Superior Hall 189, 218-726-7381).

[ Back to Top ]

Traffic Control Devices

Signs and/or traffic control devices that are the property of the University, federal, state, county, or city governments are not permitted in University housing facilities. Students who have signs and/or traffic control devices in their living units will be referred to University Police.

[ Back to Top ]

Trash Removal

Plastic trash bags are available at the Lake Superior Hall Information Desk and apartment offices. Place trash in plastic bags, and securely tie the bags. In the residence halls, place trash bags in a designated garbage room on the floor or in the section; in the apartments, place trash bags in the dumpster located near the area. Trash may not be left in hallways, restrooms, stairwells, other public areas in the building, and/or on University grounds; students who do so will face disciplinary action.


Windows, Roofs, Screens

Screens may not be removed or displaced. Windows are not to be used as an entry or exit. Items are not allowed to be hung out of windows or fastened to the outside of any University housing facility. Throwing/discarding items from windows is not permitted. Students are not allowed on the window ledges and roofs of University housing facilities. Any student seen on a roof will be referred to the conduct process and charged for any damages.

Repair, damage, and/or loss resulting from misuse will be charged to the students of the living unit.

[ Back to Top ]


Housing Office

Residence Life Office

Maintenance Office

Information Desk





© 2001 Regents of the University of Minnesota. The University of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer.

Page Design: Dan Darvell

Last modified on 04/03/13 04:51 PM