Header and Footer Example
University of Minnesota
Travel award information & Request forms

**Click for Per Diem & Travel Policy Information

The IBS graduate program can provide travel awards (up to $500 per graduate student) to help defray expenses for IBS students to attend regional, national, or international meetings.

        • Masters students are eligible to apply for a one-time award.

        • Doctoral students are eligible to apply for the award twice (not more than once per fiscal year).

        • See Eligibility below for complete requirements.

Travel supported by these awards include:

        • Travel to conferences, where the student presents his or her research.
        • Travel to unique educational opportunities.
        • Travel to regional, national, or international conferences, meetings, and seminars.

Eligibility (must meet all criteria)

        • Applicants must be active IBS degree-seeking students enrolled in the Ph.D. or Master's degree program conferred by the graduate school.
        • Applicants must in good standing with their department at the time of their application.
        • Typically, a student must travel at least 90 minutes from his or her home or campus, and must stay over at least one night at the destination.

How to Apply for Funding - There are 3 Types of Awards:

        • IBS Travel Grant

        • SCSE Travel Grant

        • UMD Graduate School Travel Grant

IBS Travel Award

        • Download and complete IBS Travel Award Request Form.  Submit form no later than 6 weeks prior to travel.
        • ONLY IBS Travel Award Request Applications and all supporting documents (except possibly for the letter from the student's advisor or DGS), must be submitted together in a single email sent toibs@d.umn.edu.
        • Please include "Travel Award" in the subject of the e-mail.
        • The advisor's or DGS' letter may be e-mailed separately, either as an e-mail from the advisor or DGS, or as a signed, scanned letter.
        • Incomplete applications will be returned.
        • All applications must include a signed letter from the applicant's advisor or DGS affirming that thetravel is related the student's degree program.
        • For conference travel, the letter should affirm that the student will be presenting his or her work at the conference, perhaps via a presentation or poster.
        • For education travel, the letter should affirm that the travel is required by the student's research.

SCSE Student Travel Support

        • Download and complete Travel Request form.
        • Questions regarding this award must be directed to SCSE.
        • DO NOT TURN THESE INTO THE IBS OFFICE. The requests will NOT get processed.

UMD Graduate Student Travel Support

These funds are to be used in partial support of travel by UMD graduate students for dissemination of their scholarly or artistic contributions associated with their graduate studies at UMD. Examples might be presentation of research from a Plan A thesis at a disciplinary meeting, or an invitation to exhibit a sculpture, created as part of an MFA in Studio Arts at an exhibition. It is expected that the student will attempt to garner other support of the travel through the advisor, program, department, and college.

What to do:

        • Download and fill out this form.
        • Email it as an attachment to the Director of Graduate Studies in your program.
        • The DGS will email the attachment, with their approval, to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Education and Research at UMD.
        • The AVCGER will reply to the DGS, copying the student, and the UMD Grad Office staff person. If approved, the UMD Grad Office staff person will facilitate the transfer of funds with the appropriate graduate program staff.
        • DO NOT TURN THESE INTO THE IBS OFFICE. The request will NOT get processed.
        • Direct questions to the UMD Graduate School office.

How to Request a Reimbursement

        • Keep all original and itemized receipts - receipts must be turned in with Employee Expense Form.
        • Download and complete theEmployee Expense Form(Excel spreadsheet).
        • Return completed Expense Form and original receipts to IBS.

Per Diem Rates

Reimbursable / Non-reimbursable Travel-related Expenses

Traveling on University Business Policy

Combined Business and Personal Travel

Travelers must remove non-business related expenses before submitting a reimbursement request, when they combine personal and business travel. Reimbursement for airfare may not exceed the lowest available cost of a direct or uninterrupted route. If the traveler uses an indirect route or interrupts travel for personal convenience, any additional expenses incurred are the sole responsibility of the traveler and should be documented. Further information about lodging, meal rates, and mileage is available in the Appendix:Per Diem – Lodging, Meals & Incidentals.

Foreign Travel Approval:

        • If you are traveling to countries on the U.S. Department of State's travel warning list, obtain approval from the University’s International Travel Risk Assessment and Advisory Committee (ITRAAC) before departure. NOTE: Applicants are encouraged to apply early as the committee review process commonly takes 6 to 8 weeks. The committee will not consider applications completed less than 2 weeks prior to planned departure.
        • Register Travel: Register your travel through the International Travel Registry for Students, which will facilitate completion of the following requirements:
        • Obtain University-approved, mandatory international travel, health, and security insurance (cost is $31.00/month)
        • Complete a release and waiver
        • Provide 24-7 emergency contacts
        • Complete online health and safety orientation
        • It is important to note that the University policy applies to all students on any University-related program abroad (including student organization travel), or any overseas program connected to their studies at UMN, even if coordinated or funded through another organization. This includes, but is not limited to: internships, field experiences, coursework, capstones, conferences, and research.
        • You can find an overview of these requirements, funding resources and travel resources at http://global.umn.edu/students/index.html.

Contact ibs@d.umn.edu with any questions you have.



Traveling on University Business Policy Pages


Traveling on University Business Rates link


University Travel Services webpage


OANDA Currency Converter link


University Forms Library for Finance Items


GSA website for per diem and lodging guidelines on domestic travel


U.S. Dept of State for foreign lodging and meal rates



Student Travel and Education Abroad


Graduate School Fellowships and Funding Opportunities

Graduate fellowships, awards based on academic merit, are available to new and currently enrolled graduate students at the University of Minnesota. The Graduate School Fellowship Office administers University-wide fellowships. Applications may be obtained from the Fellowship Office or may be filled out online, printed out, and sent to the Fellowship Office by the designated deadline. The Fellowship Office also administers the National Science Foundation program and the Fulbright program.

Website: http://www.grad.umn.edu/fellowships/

Council of Graduate Students Travel Awards

COGS makes Travel Awards and Leadership Awards to deserving University of Minnesota graduate students. Travel Awards help defray the expense of traveling to conferences, to research sites or to take advantage of unique educational opportunities. Leadership Awards recognize outstanding leadership and service on behalf of graduate students, the University, and the broader community.

Website: http://www.cogs.umn.edu/awards.html


© 2017 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 05/15/17 04:22 PM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations