Faculty & Staff
Health & Safety
Incoming Exchange Students
UMD Program Cancellation Period & Amount Due
|Upon application||$50 application fee|
|Upon confirmation||Above plus confirmation deposit ($400)|
|Between confirmation to begin date of program||Above plus non-recoverable costs up to full program fee|
If you cancel your participation at the end of the first term, you are responsible for the published program fee for that term. You may be responsible for any non-recoverable costs attributed to the second semester portion of the program fee. Tthese fees can be substantial and may include tuition, room and board.
Students sign a Release and Waiver when confirming to a program which includes a statement that they have read and understand the Cancellation Policy.
You have the option to appeal the International Education Office’s Cancellation Policy when canceling from a program for extenuating circumstances. Extenuating circumstances are defined as:
- Medical: Can be physical, mental, emotional, etc. and require documentation from attending physician.
- Illness/Death in the Immediate Family: A family medical emergency (surgery, long-term illness diagnosed) requires documentation from an attending physician. Death of an immediate family member requires a death certificate.
- Academic: Unforeseen academic change requires appropriate documentation.
- Military Activation: Requires a copy of the military activation orders showing dates that conflict with the program dates.
- Unanticipated Change in Financial Situation: A financial emergency which requires appropriate documentation. This does not include:
- Failure to understand program costs
- Financial aid eligibility
- Scholarship availability
- Other: Requires documentation of situation, process and timeline.
You must complete the Refund Appeal form and submit to the International Education Office Director within a month of the cancellation date. The International Education Office Cancellation Appeal Committee reviews each case individually and makes every effort to be fair and equitable in determining the amount of non-recoverable costs. You will be notified by email within one week after the committee meeting.