UofM Students | Non-UofM Students | What's Next? | FAQs | Contact
STUDY ABROAD APPLICATIONS
For University of Minnesota Students
Apply to a UMD-Program
UMD-Programs are marked with a star or *asterisk in the search database.
*NOTE: A $50 fee will be charged to your student account upon submission of each online application for UMD Study Abroad Programs.
Apply to a Non-UMD Study Abroad Program
- First apply directly to the Non-UMD Program Provider
(API, ASA, AIFS, CEA, GlobaLinks, ISA or other)
- Once accepted, complete the UMD Study Abroad Application
Apply to a U of M System Study Abroad Program
1. First apply directly to the coordinate campus' study abroad program
2. Our office will receive your acceptance decision from the campus which you applied.
3. Once accepted, complete the Multi-U form
For Non-University of Minnesota Students
Apply to UMD Study Abroad program options
*NOTE: A UMD student account will be created for you once you apply, and a $50 fee will be charged upon submission of each online application.
After submitting an application, you will receive an email confirming that we received your application. The email will include a link to your application checklist. Detailed descriptions and instructions for submitting each checklist item are included with the checklist.
Once you complete your checklist, our office will review your application. We will send an acceptance decision to you via email. Accepted students need to complete a confirmation checklist in order to confirm your participation in the program.
If you cannot participate in your program, you must log in to the online application system and submit a Cancel Request.
Frequently Asked Questions:
When do I figure out whether or not I am accepted into my program?
This will vary by program. Keep in mind:
- UMD Short-term programs: acceptance is also contingent upon program leaders’ evaluations
- UMD Study in England Programme: acceptance is contingent upon an interview
- UMD Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, Finland or U.K. exchange programs: our office can only offer tentative acceptance until the university (e.g. Waikato, Curtin) offers final acceptance
- Non-UMD programs: acceptance is contingent upon your program provider’s acceptance methods, which vary by provider (e.g. ISA, API, CEA)
- Other U of M campus system programs: acceptance is contingent upon the coordinating U of M campus’ evaluation
Only the application is required. However, a profile may be helpful for meeting with a study abroad advisor or narrowing down program options.
Do I need to fill out both a profile and an application?
What do the terms sponsor, program, track and track term refer to?
- Sponsor: university or company that sponsors the program (e.g. UMD, CEA, ISA)
- Program: type of program and location (e.g. Study in England Programme, CEA, ISA)
- Track: specific program name or foreign university (e.g. University of Eastern Finland, Study in England Programme)
- Track Term: semester/term you will study abroad (e.g. Fall 2016, Academic Year 2017-18)
How much is the application fee?
• $50 for UMD Programs
• Fees vary for Non-UMD Program Providers
What do I need to include with my application?
It varies, but typically:
- A brief personal statement
- All Non-UMN transcripts
All items will be listed on your application checklist and can be uploaded to the online application. You can also submit a hard copy to the International Education Office.
Can I complete more than one application?
Yes! You can:
- Apply to multiple programs for the same term
- Apply to different programs for different terms
Remember: there is a $50 fee for each submitted application.
If I apply to more than one program during a term, can I indicate priority?
Yes! Once you submit your applications, you can select and modify priority for all applications within a term.
Which Education Abroad (EA) center do I select when completing an application?
Choose the University of Minnesota campus that sponsors the program. If your program is not sponsored by a U of M campus, choose University of Minnesota Duluth’s International Education Office.
If I am applying to a Non-UMD program, do I still need to complete a UMD application?
Yes. Once you are accepted into your program, complete the UMD application and submit the appropriate forms. If you are applying to another U of M campus program (Twin Cities or Crookston), you will only submit an application to the U of M campus that coordinates the program.
Stop by our office, call or email:
UMD International Education Office
138 Kirby Plaza, 1208 Kirby Drive
Duluth, MN 55812
(877) 755-4200 (toll-free)
(218) 726-7352 (fax)