Language and Culture in Spain
Program Information | Costs | Orientation | Contact
||Summer Session 2014 (Tentative)
||June 1 - 30, 2014
||February 15, 2014
||Sophomore, Junior, Senior
||Two years college Spanish (Intermediate Spanish II or equivalent)
|Language of Instruction
||Estimated program costs can be found here
Know the following program information, which you will provide on the online application:
Program Name: Language and Culture in Spain
Early application is strongly encouraged, as space is limited and the program will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Complete applications include an essay and unofficial transcript. A non-refundable application fee of $50 will be billed to your student account upon submission of an online application.
- Study Spanish language, literature and culture at the University of Salamanca.
- Live with a Salamantine family to further cement language skills and internalize daily life.
- Stroll amongst the city’s beautiful buildings and explore the urban environment of the Old City.
- Practice language skills with Spaniards and international students alike in this diverse and multicultural city.
- Travel on three excursions within Spain and several field trips within Salamanca.
Explore Salamanca, named a World Heritage City, and study at the prestigious University of Salamanca, which was founded in 1218. The history of the city dates back to the Celts and Romans yet is deemed to be among the most impressive Renaissance cities of Europe. Salamanca's unique appearance is enhanced by the golden hue of its sandstone buildings. The Plaza Mayor is among the largest and loveliest in the country.
Participate in three excursions requiring travel and several field trips within Salamanca. All excursions are guided by professors in History and Art History. Excursion destinations may include the geographically diverse Andalucia, the ancient cities of Caceres and Trujillo, culturally rich El Escorial and Avila, impressive city of Segovia, and historical Toledo.
Earn 6 credits in FST 3894: Study Abroad in Spain: Language and Culture. Course components include:
- Instruction provided by University of Minnesota Duluth and University of Salamanca faculty
- Four hours of instruction daily
- Additional class in Spanish dance, guitar, music or cuisine
- Completion of a “task list,” for example hold a political conversation with a Spaniard, order 200 grams of Serrano ham at a deli, pick and weigh fruit, travel on public transportation and barter in a market
Participants MUST have a passport, valid for at least six months after their return to the United States.
Estimated program costs can be found here.
A non-refundable application fee of $50 will be billed to your student account upon submission of an online application. A deposit of $400 will be billed to your student account upon your confirmation of participation. The remainder of the program fee will be billed through Student Accounts Receivable.
Financial aid may be applied toward the cost of the program if you are enrolled as a full-time student. There are also study abroad scholarships for University of Minnesota students.
At least two pre-departure orientations will be held. Pre-departure orientations will include information about financial aid, classwork and travel tips. A general study abroad handbook will be emailed prior to departure.
Familiarize yourself on financing, health and safety and policies to consider when studying abroad.
Contact the program leader, Andrew Snustad for program or itinerary questions. For application or registration questions, contact Arianna Austin in the International Education Office.