Maintaining Legal Status
You are here
Maintaining your legal status while you are a student in the United States is your responsibility. ISS provides guidance on how to do this, but ultimately it is up to you to make sure that you follow the US government's rules to stay legally in the US for the duration of your studies. Here are some important reminders and tips on how to maintain your legal status while you are in the US:
- Enroll full-time each semester
- Graduate students = 6 credits
- Undergraduate and Pharmacy students = 12 credits
- Do not take too many online courses
- International students can only count 1 class (or 3 credits) towards their full course requirement.
- For example: an undergraduate student registered for 12 credits could only take 3 credits of online classes.
- Do not work without proper authorization
- If you’re not sure, ask ISS
- Keep all of your documents up to date and accurate
- Update your address and phone number in MyU each time there is a change
- The government requires you to update your address and phone number within 10 days of the change
- Tell ISS about changes to your program or personal information
- File your tax return each year