University of Minnesota Duluth
MyU | Search | People | Departments | Events | News


Students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the semester. Full-time employment is allowed during breaks and summer. International students cannot work off campus without special permission from the U.S. government.

Employment information can be accessed via the Office of Human Resources website. Steps to finding a student job are included here.

To look for employment in Food Service, go to:Food Service Employment Listings.

Students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session. Full-time employment is allowed during breaks and summer. International students cannot work off campus without special permission from the U.S. government.

International students are not eligible for work-study, a U.S. government financial aid program. International students can only apply for non work-study jobs on campus.

Obtaining Your I-94 Number

Students applying for a Social Security Number or Optional Practical Training (OPT), must provide their I-94 number.

If you have left the U.S. and re-entered via airplane or boat after April 2013, you can retrieve your I-94 number electronically by clicking here.

If you have not left the U.S. recently or you entered via a land border from Canada or Mexico, you will still have your white I-94 card stapled into your passport. This will have your I-94 number, class of admission, date of entry, porty of entry, and status expiration date.

Social Security Number

A Social Security number is required for anyone working in the United States, including students who work on campus. To apply for a free Social Security number, first get a copy of your job offer from your employer and then bring it to the ISS office, 237 Kirby Student Center for a form you will need from the school. When applying for your social security card, you will be required to bring your passport, I-94, I-20, and the job offer letter. The Social Security Administration office located in the U.S. Bank Building, at 130 West Superior Street, Suite 400 in downtown Duluth. It is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, and Wednesday 9:00am - 12:00pm. No appointment is necessary. Once you receive your Social Security card, do not alter it in any way, such as laminating it, because this will invalidate your card.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment option available to F-1 students that may be an internship, cooperative education job, a practicum, or any other work experience that is either required for your degree (as defined in the course catalog) or for which academic credit is awarded. ISS sponsors CPT training workshops each year.

CPT Eligibility

  • must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one full academic year
  • your employment must be an integral part of your degree program
  • your job offer must be related to your major or field of study.

Please review the CPT Online Workshop. Note that this is a workshop through the Twin Cities Campus, but the general information is the same. You will apply for your CPT by contacting UMD International Student Services.

For CPT application forms, please click here.

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment authorization that gives F-1 students an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience off campus. Authorization for optional practical training is granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and can take up to 120 days to obtain. ISS provides a few workshops throughout the year about OPT/CPT.

OPT Eligibility

  • must be in full time student status for at least one full academic year preceding the submission of your OPT application
  • be maintaining valid F-1 status at the time of the application, and
  • intend to work in a position directly related to your major field of study.

Here is an OPT video that explains the process.

For detailed instructions and the ISS OPT application form, please here.

Once you have completed and turned in your application to ISS, we will process your request with the U.S. Government and issue you a new I-20 form. Once you have your new I-20 form, you must complete and submit an I-765 form to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which will process your request and issue your Employee Authorization Document (EAD).

ISS does NOT recommend e-filing the I-765.

24-Month STEM OPT Extension Post-completion Optional Practical Training can be extended by 24 months for certain STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) degree holders employed by EVerified employers. You will apply for your OPT extension by contacting UMD International Student Services.

For the 24- Month Extension Request form, please click here.

ISS will need a copy of the completed Form I-983, see I-983 tutorial for help, before your request can be processed.


When you file an immigration form, you will have the option to receive an e-mail or text informing you if USCIS has accepted you application. Fill out Form G-1145 and clip it on top of the first page of your appication form.

E-Verify Self Check

Check your employment eligibility. E-Verify is a Department of Homeland Security program administered by USCIS in partnership with the Social Security Administration. E-Verify is for employers; myE-Verify is for workers and job seekers.

E-Verify is used by nearly 600,000 employers at over 1.8 million hiring sites to quickly confirm the employment eligibility of new employees. myE-Verify helps prepare you for the E-Verify employer by informing you about your rights and employer responsibilities AND gives you free tools to participate in the process and protect your identity.

E-Verify Self-Check here.

H-1B General Information

H-1Bs are non-immigrant employment visas to hire temporary specialty occupation workers. Here is an H-1B seminar that goes over the basics of H-1B visas. These are the slides used in the presentation.

Employment-Based Visas and Permanent Residency

View the Permanent Residency Workshop Recorded Presentation and Powerpoint slides for an overview of employment-based visa options such as H-1B, O-1, and L-1 visas. The recorded workshop presentation also provides information on the process for becoming a permanent resident through employment

Employment-Based Visas and Permanent Residency Workshop Recorded PresentationPowerpoint Presentation


Student working at ITSS
© 2017 University of Minnesota Duluth
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 10/24/16 09:15 AM
University of Minnesota Campuses
Crookston | Duluth | Morris
Rochester | Twin Cities | Other Locations

Cumulative Page Views: 206134