Undergraduate International Students
New Student Orientation will be held Sunday, August 23rd - Tuesday, August 25th 2015 in Kirby Rafters (3rd floor KSC).
**All new international students are required to attend sessions listed in italics**
- Sunday - 9:30am - 10:00am Check-in and Breakfast
10:00am - 11:45am Mandatory Orientation
11:45am - rest of day Optional Activities (Light lunch, campus tour, shopping - cell phones, household items, personal items, etc., and evening activity)
- Monday - 9:30am - 10:00am Check-in and Breakfast
10:00am - 3:00pm Mandatory Orientation
3:00pm - rest of day Optional Activities (campus activity, game night, etc.)
- Tuesday - 9:30 - 10:00am Check-in and Breakfast
10:00am - 2:00pm Mandatory Orientation
2:00pm - rest of day Optional Activities (Canal Park trip)
During orientation, ISS will do a document check and explain your legal obligations as an F-1 student. Bring the following documents with you:
- Passport and visa stamp (in your passport)
- I-94 card (if you have a paper I-94 - a white card in your passport that was stamped during your immigration inspection, otherwise we will help you find your electronic I-94 online)
- Previous school's I-20 (if you attended another school in the U.S)
- University of Minnesota ID number (on your admission letter)
Attendance is mandatory.
Students should contact International Student Services to let us know when you plan to arrive. If you would like to be picked up at the airport or bus stop in Duluth, please let us know at least two weeks in advance. August 7th (or 2 weeks before your arrival), will be the last date to sign up for arrival pick up services from ISS. Please note: ISS arranged pick-up hours are between 8:00am-11:00pm.
Bulldog Welcome Week (Fall Semester Only)
Bulldog Welcome Week is a great way to dive into your UMD experience! During the long weekend, you will:
- become more familiar with UMD's academic expectations
- make many new friends including other new students and current UMD student leaders
- meet faculty and staff
- learn some tips for keeping on top of your finances during college
- connect with student organizations, campus activities and ways to get involved
- get to know the campus and campus resources
- explore the city of Duluth
- get connected to UMD!
Check the website!
UMD housing will be available for new students with contracts starting on Saturday, August 22nd, 2015.
There is temporary housing available in on-campus dormitories from August 1st - August 16th for a charge (Nightly rental: $42| Week- 7 night rental: $180| Two weeks- 14 night rental: $300).
This housing must be reserved at least 7 days in advance. If you arrive on campus without a reservation, you will not be able to stay there. Email ISS to request a reservation. Temporary community housing is also sometimes offered by families interested in meeting international students. Please let ISS know two weeks in advance if you would like to request temporary community housing.
Students living in the dorms or on-campus apartments must provide their own towels and bed linens (pillow, XL sheets (36x80 inches) and pillow cases, blankets and bedspreds). Please note, students who live off-campus should not purchase XL or "dorm" sheets because these sizes only fit beds on campus.
If you do not bring your own bed linens, you can order them in advance online and have them delivered to our office so they will be here when you arrive. You can order from any company online. Residence Hall Linens (RHL) is an independent retailer, so we do not endorse them directly, but it is an option. When ordering from any online retailer, please remember the following:
- Order XL or "dorm-size" sheets and mattress covers
- You can usually buy sets/packages or separates depending on your budget and what you want
- Be certain of what exactly is included in your order (e.g. a comforter set does not usually include sheets or a pillow)
- Order at least 10-14 days in advance of your arrival
- Email our officeso we know to expect the package
- Don't forget to include shipping costs when considering your purchase. (RHL's shipping rates are as follows: Value Paks have free shipping; $0-$25 = $4.95; $25.01-$50 = $8; $50.01-$75 = $10, $75.01-$100 = $14; $100.01-$125 = $18, $125.01-$200 = $22)
- Be sure to ship the items to the Housing office:
513 Niagara Court
Duluth, MN 55812-3046
For other housing information, click here.