Priorities and Goals for 2001-2002
- Wireless Networking: Establish wireless hubs in classrooms and in
the Library to support CSE iPAQ initiative.
- Personal Digital Assistants: Provide support for expanding use of
personal digital assistants, especially the Compaq iPAQ for students in CSE.
- Faculty Technology: Expand services and support to a wider group
of faculty through the Technophytes Cohort program, Tech Camp, and individualized
- New Models for Voice, Data, and Video: Begin integration of voice,
data, and video over a common campus network infrastructure.
- Network security and authentication: Improve security on the campus
network and computer systems by strengthening authentication and monitoring
The goals below are not listed in order of importance. The projects listed
under each goal are a subset of all we will do. We encourage each ITSS team
to determine how their projects will help to support our goals.
Improve Classroom and Learning Technology
- Equip 34 classrooms with a standard suite of technology equipment: digital
projector, VCR with closed-captioning box, and teaching podiums containing
power and ethernet connections.
- Maintain and expand documentation for classroom technology, which is published
on the web, and placed in the classrooms.
- Develop new ways to support faculty use of classroom technology in order
to minimize technical failures and human frustration.
- Establish wireless hubs for classrooms and the Library to support CSE iPAQ
- Expand services and support to a wider group of faculty through the Technophytes
Cohort program, Tech Camp, and individualized consulting.
- Begin development of new technology for ITV network and quality desktop
- Strengthen and standardize streaming audio and video services.
Improve Student Services
- Support three laptop pilot programs by purchasing, configuring, and managing
the laptops, software, and networking.
- Work with collegiate units to develop new ways of delivering curriculum-based
technology services to students.
- Add one full-access lab for students in CCtr 42, and move one lab from SBE
45 to KPlz 144.
- Implement Windows 2000 in ITSS labs.
- Develop software distribution programs for student-owned computers.
Improve Services and Support for Customers
- Complete redesign of the UMD web site. Implement portals for customized
individualized web access.
- Partner with Library on two instruction rooms for Library instruction, ITSS
training, CE events, campus use, and student full-access use.
- Provide programming services that link databases with web forms to manage
service requests and information.
- Develop new services and improved delivery for desktop computer support.
- Establish and administer Microsoft Campus Agreement.
- Provide support for expanding use of personal digital assistants, especially
the Compaq iPAQ for students in CSE.
Support Use of Enterprise Systems (PeopleSoft)
- Expand support and training for use of enterprise systems and data warehouse.
- Provide installation and support for use of desktop PeopleSoft client.
Improve Fiscal Management
- Revise our rates for FY2003 based on ISO principles and regulations.
- Replace ITSS Accounting System.
- Develop new revenue streams.
Improve Campus Infrastructure
- Begin integration of voice, data, and video over a common campus network
- Extend capability for 100 Mbit data to the desktop to eight campus buildings.
- Improve security on the campus network and computer systems by strengthening
authentication and monitoring systems.
- Add cable trays, conduit, wiring, and telecommunications closets to improve
the campus cable system.
- Update and maintain the long-term infrastructure plan.
- Increase network backbone speed to gigabit level.
- Provide remote telephone services to Cloquet Forestry Center.
- Convert lower-campus phone service to digital.
- Provide design and construction specifications for new campus building and
- Complete and maintain operational continuity plan.
- Investigate pilot project with Citrix for faculty and staff offices.
- Implement Storage Area Network (SAN) for central servers.
- Establish quality wireless network technology.
Improve Working Environment for ITSS Staff
- Increase staff training and professional development.
- Continue to address compensation issues to stay competitive with market
for information technology staff.
- Provide a working environment for staff that encourages them to stay at
- Continue to emphasize importance of a healthy and safe working environment
Participate in Campus Life
- Meet and coordinate activities with our campus partners.
- Contribute to campus governance and activities by serving on committees,
task forces, commissions, etc., where appropriate.
- Investigate integrated messaging services.
- Develop virtual reality services in the Visualization and Digital Imaging
- Develop staff expertise with CorporateTime Calendar, personal digital assistants.
- Research modem options and services.
- Research software server for residence halls.
- Develop staff expertise with Windows XP and related Microsoft Office products.
|Did you find what you were looking for?
|©2003 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Last modified on 07/19/01
|Contact ITSS |
Revision Date:7/19/2001 lld