UMD Active Directory
Using an AD Computer Off Campus
If your laptop has been added to Active Directory services, you will still be able to use it on any network. However, there are a few items to note to make this process as smooth as possible when using it off campus.
- Sign in to your workstation at least once while on campus
- You must be on the University network the first time you sign in to your computer. When you sign on to your AD computer, your AD credentials (name and password) are securely cached on the computer. Signing in while on campus ensures that your AD credentials are cached and that you will be able to sign in to the computer from any location, with or without network access.
- Install the UMD AnyConnect VPN client and sign in to it prior to signing in to AD
- The AnyConnect VPN client allows you to sign in to the UMD VPN service immediately on starting up your computer (before signing in to AD). This is the best way to ensure that you will be able to sign in to and access all UMD services, including AD file storage.
- For complete instructions, see: Connect to the VPN Service Prior to Signing In and Accessing File Storage.
- "Elevated Access Rights" require you to sign in 2 (two) times while on the UMD network
- When your account has been granted temporary elevated access rights:
- You will need to sign in and restart your computer twice before the elevated rights take affect.
- Your computer must be connected to the UMD network during the sign in process.
- Elevated access rights expire at the beginning of the next business day.
- We strongly recommend that you complete this process while on campus if possible.
- - If you are on campus: Use a wired jack when possible.
- - If you are on campus and using UMD wireless:
- Open a web browser and authenticate to the UMD-Wireless network; select "Keep me logged in for the next 90 days."
- Restart your computer and sign in to AD.
- Restart your computer and sign in to AD a second time. You should now have elevated access rights.
- - If you are off campus:
For complete details, please see: Connect to the VPN Service Prior to Signing In.
- Sign into the UMD VPN service
- Sign in with your AD credentials.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 to finish elevating your rights.
Rev: 09.7.12 sab