NetReg: UMD's Desktop Network Registration System
NetReg is an automated network registration system that is used to register unknown computer hardware before granting full network access. The goal is to restrict network access to authorized users (authenticated via their Internet ID), without requiring them to login every time they use their computer.
The benefits of having our customers register their computers include:
- We can easily track security settings on desktop computers on campus.
- We can monitor against known security vulnerabilities to provide a more secure network environment.
- We can quickly remove virus-infected computers from the network to minimize infections on other computers.
Registering via NetReg is a simple process that must be completed annually or anytime your computer is offline for an extended period of time.
To connect your computer to the UMD network over a NetReg connection, simply plug in, open a web browser, and register using your University Internet ID.
- Turn the computer on.
- Open a web browser (Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer). You should be automatically redirected to the NetReg registration web page at: https://netreg-camp.d.umn.edu/register.html.
- When prompted, enter your University Internet ID (your email name) and password, and select "Register".
- Restart your computer and log in as usual. You should have full network access.
Rev: 6.13 alj